Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:50 AM   #1

Default E-30 AF Adjustment instructions

Hi all,

For those of you who have the E-30, you may be interested in the following link to Olympus' instructions on how to adjust the AF System for specific lenses as well as lens groups(a teleconverter + 50-200mm lens as an example).

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/image...uctions_EN.pdf

When I owned the Sigma 135-400mm lens, I followed these instructions to improve the focusing aspects of that particular lens. However, these instructions are also useful in adjusting the AF for ZD Olympus lenses to achieve certain effects. The instructions provide examples.

These instructions are for E-30 D-slr camera body only

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:19 PM   #2

Gidday Zig

Thanks, mate.
Never had the need myself, but always useful to have.
I have saved the PDF on my HDD.

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:01 AM   #3

Hi John,

I glad you think it may prove useful.

Here is an excerpt from the PDF that caught my eye and prompted me to post the pdf:

Purpose of AF focus adjustment
AF FOCUS ADJ offers photographers the option to customize and save autofocus settings for use with Four Thirds® system lenses, including those manufactured by third parties. Specifically, it enables the AF sensor to shift the AF focusing position – and therefore the range of the depth of field – nearer to, or farther from, the imaging sensor. Adjustments are made using a 40-step scale and can be fine-tuned in precise increments of up to 20 steps closer (-) or farther (+) from the default AF focusing position.
In normal shooting situations, adjustments are not necessary.1 However, the function can be useful for calibrating the AF focusing position of Four Thirds lenses or manipulating the depth of field for creative effect. For example, a portrait photographer may choose to allow a lens to front focus in order to ensure that a subject’s eyes and nose are both in crisp focus.

There are other instances where adjusting the AF points make sense that are outlined in these instructions.

One of the mysteries (to me) with Olympus is that they don't do an especially good job identifying capabilities & features built into their cameras that their customer base would find useful.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Instruction manuals these days are a nightmare to try and read. I don't know if it's a language thing or what, and these bodies offer so much "stuff", I think it's a combination of information overload and not having someone competent in all the various languages they wind up printing. If they would do a better job, I'd be all for them simply providing a link to an online manual to refer to.

Nothing at all like the 42 page manual for a Nikon F2AS.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:12 PM   #5

Well the good news is that the E-5 menu system is substantially more simple than the E-3 - many functions are transfered to the super control panel. E.g. you don't have to go to 2 different menu places to choose RAW + JPEG etc. versus what JPEG compression you want. Halleluja! That always drove me nuts - I was amazed to look at the E-5 super control panel and see that you can choose what you want with RAW + jpeg just like choosing WB.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
When I owned the Sigma 135-400mm lens, I followed these instructions to improve the focusing aspects of that particular lens. However, these instructions are also useful in adjusting the AF for ZD Olympus lenses to achieve certain effects. The instructions provide examples.
Zig
Thanks Zig.

I'm worndering if there was any way Oly could have made it more complicated (I'm looking forward to adjusting the AF on the E-5 for the PL 25mm).

But more importantly, I want to see a photo of your setup where you got a bunch of playing cards to stand up like their illustration.

Ted
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Thanks Zig.

I'm worndering if there was any way Oly could have made it more complicated (I'm looking forward to adjusting the AF on the E-5 for the PL 25mm).

But more importantly, I want to see a photo of your setup where you got a bunch of playing cards to stand up like their illustration.

Ted
Hi Ted,

While I followed the Olympus methodology of calibrating, checking, and then calibrating again to fine tune the lenses mentioned. I didn't use the card trick.
I found it easier and frankly, more accurate, to tape a steel rule onto a piece of poster board. The poster board and rule assembly, in turn, were adhered to a piece of 2 x 4. I then placed this "calibrating tool" onto a piece of black board. The calibrating tool was placed at a 45 degree angle to the face of the lens. All in all, a pretty accurate means of calibrating at a very reasonable price.

The only thing I'd point out (you already know this) to those that are about to try this for the first time, is to ensure that the lens is level to the face of the steel rule and it must be at a 45 degree angle.

Zig
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:45 PM   #8

That looks like an extremely competent setup. But for me, not as much fun as seeing a photo of you trying to balance playing cards upright.

Ted
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi all,

For those of you who have the E-30, you may be interested in the following link to Olympus' instructions on how to adjust the AF System for specific lenses as well as lens groups(a teleconverter + 50-200mm lens as an example).

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/image...uctions_EN.pdf

These instructions are for E-30 D-slr camera body only

Zig
Actually the instructions work well for the E-5.

Not that I know that, I'm just remarking. Because I have a friend named Zig who takes great bird photos but for some reason seems to be unhappy with his E-30 gear. So he's talking about maybe getting a FF rig, or just being jealous about the folks here who have an E-5, even though it doesn't give Zig any more capability than he has now for what he does so well.

Meanwhile, I have a new toy that allows me to adjust the AF setting like the E-30 does. So I can finally use my PL 25mm with an Oly camera instead of only using it with the L1, since all the Oly DSLRs front-focused it:

And with my new toy and the AF adjust it does this:

Meanwhile, I'm not playing with this new toy much, because its going up to Rochester at the end of the month (when the package shipment load dies down) to have the FS-3 focus screen installed. After that I'll be trying it out on photos, but don't tel Zig.

Ted
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:15 PM   #10

Default Square on to Lens Align ...

Gidday Ted

Remember that you have to be square on for it to work properly ... .

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLR bodies: E-30, E-510, E-1
Digital lenses: f2.8/25 pancake, f2/50 macro, 7~14, 11~22; 14~42, 14~45, 14~54 MkII, 40~150 MkI, 40~150 MkII, 50~200 MkI; EC-14; EX-25
plus: FL-36R, Studio Strobes, Epson R3880, V700, Scan Elite 5400 II, lots of OM gear .
John King is offline   Reply With Quote