Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:55 PM   #1

Default Which editing software DOES make a difference

I originally ran this through Picasa thinking that's about as good as it's going to get. THEN...

I ran the original through Gimp & Neat Image. Looks like I won't be using Picasa. I'll stick with DigiKam (which is so much like Lightroom it ain't funny) for the quick/initial PP and Gimp as the final tweaker. I'm glad I save originals!!

And, after some blending, wrinkle/wart removal, and some USM
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Dec 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:20 PM   #2

Good software is worth it's weight in gold, and there's definitely a lot of different ones out there. Looks like you have found yours. Excellent results.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:29 PM   #3

Hi Gary,

Ever since I got the 8.0 version of Elements I have been extremely happy with what can be done with Adobe's Camera RAW plug-in that comes with it.

I've since upgraded to CS5. But, still find that the bulk of my pp work is done in ACR6.3 with cropping to final size and tweaking done in CS5.

I don't usually do this without someone's prior approval. So, I hope you're not ticked off at me for trying to see what I could get out of ACR. But this is my quick and dirty edit.
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Gary,

Ever since I got the 8.0 version of Elements I have been extremely happy with what can be done with Adobe's Camera RAW plug-in that comes with it.

I've since upgraded to CS5. But, still find that the bulk of my pp work is done in ACR6.3 with cropping to final size and tweaking done in CS5.

I don't usually do this without someone's prior approval. So, I hope you're not ticked off at me for trying to see what I could get out of ACR. But this is my quick and dirty edit.
I like everything but the side of Mike's face that looks almost sunburned. I'm thinking a little dodging might alleviate that, eh?
My Gallery

--
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:09 PM   #5

Hi Gary,

Had to stop for dinner. How's this. I used the facial color feature in PSE8 to adjust for skin tones.
Obviously, this is the best that I can come up with using a file resized for the web. With the original,
I do believe there would be some additional improvement.

ACR6.3 is actually a very powerful tool. I find myself using it almost exclusively these days.
I have Greg Chappell to thank for that. He happened to post some photos processed with that plug-in and i've have yet to find anything more pwerful or as easy to use.

Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Dec 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Gary,

Had to stop for dinner. How's this. I used the facial color feature in PSE8 to adjust for skin tones.
Obviously, this is the best that I can come up with using a file resized for the web. With the original,
I do believe there would be some additional improvement.

ACR6.3 is actually a very powerful tool. I find myself using it almost exclusively these days.
I have Greg Chappell to thank for that. He happened to post some photos processed with that plug-in and i've have yet to find anything more pwerful or as easy to use.

Zig

What's not to like? Unfortunately, I'm running a Linux box and, although PS will run on it, I don't have PS anymore. I'm sure there's a plug-in for Gimp that will do the trick, though. I just haven't been looking because I'm really not a people photog. I guess I'll have to get out and look, eh?
My Gallery

--