Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:27 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camano Island, WA.
Posts: 2,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

Okay, so you got your E-5. Who freakin' cares? Now that you and that other Greg both have them you'll be impossible to live with. It's bad enough around here that you both have to post those incessantly incredible images. NOW with the E-5, you guys are going to be peppering us with even better images......

I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

OH, I don't feel so good. Must have to lie down........now. .......
disregard any of my previous ramblings.




JUST HAVIN' SOME FUN

Congrats on getting the E-5. From everything I've read and the images I've seen to this point, it really is a fine camera. It might be the one where Olympus just got everything right. I hope so.

Looking forward to seeing your first set of images..


[I]Psst, anybody got a valium?

Zig
Penile envy... I'm surounded here by $5 million US, homes yet I'm in a one room + a bathroom casita...(right on the water), a short walk from the marina. The Gregs are getting their grubby hands all over their new E5's and I'm working my E500. Does it matter, hell no, I'm into my third Pina colada.
It's all relative. I am looking forward to seeing the Gregs (plural....after 3 of my pina coladas they're all plural) photos with the E5.
__________________
Ken.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
(plural....after 3 of my pina coladas they're all plural)
Atta boy, Ken. You deserve it after rescuing that sailboat.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:22 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

Okay, so you got your E-5. Who freakin' cares? Now that you and that other Greg both have them you'll be impossible to live with. It's bad enough around here that you both have to post those incessantly incredible images. NOW with the E-5, you guys are going to be peppering us with even better images......

I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

OH, I don't feel so good. Must have to lie down........now. .......
disregard any of my previous ramblings.




JUST HAVIN' SOME FUN

Congrats on getting the E-5. From everything I've read and the images I've seen to this point, it really is a fine camera. It might be the one where Olympus just got everything right. I hope so.

Looking forward to seeing your first set of images..


[I]Psst, anybody got a valium?

Zig
Why, you get along fine with your plasticam, don't you?

All kidding aside, the problem with owning the E-5 is that I have no excuses when you folks show me up with your cameras, just because you know how to use 'em.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
As you probably know, Olympus released a new battery - the BLM-5 - when they released the E-5. There is some, but not complete interchangeability of the BLM-5 and the BLM-1:

1. The BLM-5 and the BLM-1 are interchangeable in the Oly DSLR camera bodies. However, the BLM-5 stores a little more energy (1620mAh versus 1500mAh for the BLM-1) which is presumably important for the E-5 because of its larger LCD.
2. The BLM-5 and the BLM-1 are not interchangeable in the battery chargers - they each must use their respective charger. So if you buy an E-5 and you have any other Oly DSLR you are stuck with 2 battery chargers. Unless you replace all your BLM-1s with BLM-5s - only you can decide if that's worth it to you considering the higher energy capacity of the BLM-5.

Olympus has released a chart that illustrates what I described above:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/do...hart_final.pdf

You should take a look at it and be prepared for a surprise if you are, like me, convinced that Oly can't explain anything very clearly. Although, since it's on their UK site, maybe they got someone in the UK to create it...

Ted
There is one more difference that I think leads to the "not recommended" when it comes to the E-5/BLM-1 combo. The BLM-5 is 7.4V, and the BLM-1 is 7.2V. It might not sound like alot, but if the E-3 was running into problems due to voltage dropping too low, then it might make a difference. There were several reports that charge level had an impact on autofocus on the E-3.

I also had a feeling that the reason the E-5's were scarce early on was because of a tight supply of the BLM-5s.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:16 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell;1178571]Just picked my E5 up today. With 4 BLM-1's already ( I had one pre-charged just for the E5), I'll probably pick up a spare BLM-5 or two over the next few months. I don't doubt this new, high resolution screen will suck batteries dry, especially if you use live view much, shoot movies or even do a lot of image reviewing.
QUOTE]

Over in fourthirdsphoto, Godfrey DiGiorgi was one of the first E-5 owners to start posting his experience with it. Yesterday he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
My experience is that the BLM-5 delivers about double the number of exposures per charge that the BLM-1 does in the E-5.
So it's a fairly significant change.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:20 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I also had a feeling that the reason the E-5's were scarce early on was because of a tight supply of the BLM-5s.
As of today you can't get a BLM-5 from any of the major photo e-commerce sites (B&H, Adorama, etc.) They get sold out as soon as they receive a shipment. I ordered one on Tuesday from Adorama when their site said it was in stock, and yesterday they told me mine was backordered.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Dec 16, 2010 at 7:30 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:28 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Why, you get along fine with your plasticam, don't you?

All kidding aside, the problem with owning the E-5 is that I have no excuses when you folks show me up with your cameras, just because you know how to use 'em.
It is true that sometimes, really good equipment in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, gets an amazing photo:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37176992

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:17 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
You should take a look at it and be prepared for a surprise if you are, like me, convinced that Oly can't explain anything very clearly. Although, since it's on their UK site, maybe they got someone in the UK to create it...
I actually saw this chart several months ago when I first found out the E-5 was needing a new battery...my interest was trying to find out what the Japanese Government regulation was, which I still haven't found out (but I've stopped looking).

I did notice that in the chart the white BCM-5 did have a fourth electrical contact...I actually find it odd that Olympus and other battery manufacturers are only doing this now; when I bought my Makita cordless drill the batteries only had three contacts, but when I bought replacement batteries it had a fourth electrical contact...and this was long before the E-1 even came out!

As for the chart I understood it within a few seconds of looking at it...the breakdown:
- black battery, black charger
- white battery, white charger
- BLM-"5" works with E-"5", as well as the other cameras
- BLM-1 works with everything else and while it can work with E-5 it's not recommended.

What else is there to explain?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:13 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
As for the chart I understood it within a few seconds of looking at it...the breakdown:
- black battery, black charger
- white battery, white charger
- BLM-"5" works with E-"5", as well as the other cameras
- BLM-1 works with everything else and while it can work with E-5 it's not recommended.

What else is there to explain?
I know - that's why I was surprised that anyone finds it confusing.

As far as I can tell, the 4th contact on the battery and charger is part of a safety circuit but I don't know any more than that.

I'm assuming that Oly says it's not OK to recharge a BLM-1 in the BLM-5 charger, only so that they comply with the government regulation. So I'm assuming that at some point someone will be brave, do that, and determine that it really is OK. Which would be nice - I'd rather not have 2 chargers (three, counting the L1).

Ted

Edit: Oooops - I tried it and established at least one thing the 4th contact on the BLM-5's charger does. It prevents the charger from turning on if you put a BLM-1 in it.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Dec 17, 2010 at 8:18 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:32 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

And this new regulation means no more clone batteries unless you had a BCM-1 or BCM-2...at least until the clone makers hack the fourth pin.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.