Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default Wazzup with Oly batteries:

As you probably know, Olympus released a new battery - the BLM-5 - when they released the E-5. There is some, but not complete interchangeability of the BLM-5 and the BLM-1:

1. The BLM-5 and the BLM-1 are interchangeable in the Oly DSLR camera bodies. However, the BLM-5 stores a little more energy (1620mAh versus 1500mAh for the BLM-1) which is presumably important for the E-5 because of its larger LCD.
2. The BLM-5 and the BLM-1 are not interchangeable in the battery chargers - they each must use their respective charger. So if you buy an E-5 and you have any other Oly DSLR you are stuck with 2 battery chargers. Unless you replace all your BLM-1s with BLM-5s - only you can decide if that's worth it to you considering the higher energy capacity of the BLM-5.

Olympus has released a chart that illustrates what I described above:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/do...hart_final.pdf

You should take a look at it and be prepared for a surprise if you are, like me, convinced that Oly can't explain anything very clearly. Although, since it's on their UK site, maybe they got someone in the UK to create it...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
As you probably know, Olympus released a new battery - the BLM-5 - when they released the E-5. There is some, but not complete interchangeability of the BLM-5 and the BLM-1:

1. The BLM-5 and the BLM-1 are interchangeable in the Oly DSLR camera bodies. However, the BLM-5 stores a little more energy (1620mAh versus 1500mAh for the BLM-1) which is presumably important for the E-5 because of its larger LCD.
2. The BLM-5 and the BLM-1 are not interchangeable in the battery chargers - they each must use their respective charger. So if you buy an E-5 and you have any other Oly DSLR you are stuck with 2 battery chargers. Unless you replace all your BLM-1s with BLM-5s - only you can decide if that's worth it to you considering the higher energy capacity of the BLM-5.

Olympus has released a chart that illustrates what I described above:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/do...hart_final.pdf

You should take a look at it and be prepared for a surprise if you are, like me, convinced that Oly can't explain anything very clearly. Although, since it's on their UK site, maybe they got someone in the UK to create it...

Ted
Leave it to Olympus to make a simple item just that much more complicated.

I understand the need for a new charger for the E-5 battery as the BLM5 has a different charge capacity. But, knowing that most buyers of the E-5 will have already owned an older Olympus E-series dslr, you'd think they'd make the charger backwards compatible.

Oh well, only an issue if I ever buy an E-5.

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
frank-in-toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 1,083
Default

wow. looked at the chart. nice use of colours. they couldn't make it tougher to understand tho.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Leave it to Olympus to make a simple item just that much more complicated.

I understand the need for a new charger for the E-5 battery as the BLM5 has a different charge capacity. But, knowing that most buyers of the E-5 will have already owned an older Olympus E-series dslr, you'd think they'd make the charger backwards compatible.

Oh well, only an issue if I ever buy an E-5.

Zig
Zig, it is my understanding that a new battery and new charger were required (regardless of the BLM-5's higher energy capacity) due to a new government regulation in Japan, which I assume is to reduce the chance of fires that as we know, can be (and are) started by poor batteries & chargers. So it is possible that Oly couldn't make it backwards-compatible and still meet the regulation.

I'm inclined to cut Oly some slack in the planned-obsolescence department. The wired remote control and AC power supply I have, which work with my E-3 and E-500, are the ones I purchased for the E20. That was many camera models ago...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
wow. looked at the chart. nice use of colours. they couldn't make it tougher to understand tho.
Wow - I must be spending too much time with Oly manuals - I thought it was pretty clear.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

I'm inclined to cut Oly some slack in the planned-obsolescence department. The wired remote control and AC power supply I have, which work with my E-3 and E-500, are the ones I purchased for the E20. That was many camera models ago...

Ted
You're a better man than I

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
You're a better man than I

Zig
Can I quote you on this, if at some point in the future we happen to disagree about something?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,522
Default

Just picked my E5 up today. With 4 BLM-1's already ( I had one pre-charged just for the E5), I'll probably pick up a spare BLM-5 or two over the next few months. I don't doubt this new, high resolution screen will suck batteries dry, especially if you use live view much, shoot movies or even do a lot of image reviewing.

It's a beaut of a body and really "feels" quite nice. The extra height of the grip is pretty sweet.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Can I quote you on this, if at some point in the future we happen to disagree about something?
We Disagree.......when????????
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,158
Default

[I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Just picked my E5 up today. With 4 BLM-1's already ( I had one pre-charged just for the E5), I'll probably pick up a spare BLM-5 or two over the next few months. I don't doubt this new, high resolution screen will suck batteries dry, especially if you use live view much, shoot movies or even do a lot of image reviewing.

It's a beaut of a body and really "feels" quite nice. The extra height of the grip is pretty sweet.
Okay, so you got your E-5. Who freakin' cares? Now that you and that other Greg both have them you'll be impossible to live with. It's bad enough around here that you both have to post those incessantly incredible images. NOW with the E-5, you guys are going to be peppering us with even better images......

I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

OH, I don't feel so good. Must have to lie down........now. .......
disregard any of my previous ramblings.




JUST HAVIN' SOME FUN

Congrats on getting the E-5. From everything I've read and the images I've seen to this point, it really is a fine camera. It might be the one where Olympus just got everything right. I hope so.

Looking forward to seeing your first set of images..


Psst, anybody got a valium?

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:05 PM.