Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:42 PM   #1

Default E-30 ... Noisy shutter

Hum ... got my E-30.

I noticed that the shutter is way noisier than my E-520.... probably enough to scare some wildlife!

Anybody noticed the same thing?

Txs
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Hum ... got my E-30.

I noticed that the shutter is way noisier than my E-520.... probably enough to scare some wildlife!

Anybody noticed the same thing?

Txs
Hi,

Yes, the shutter on my E-30 is fairly loud. When I shoot birds in my backyard, I can see them react when they hear the shutter. They don't fly off, but- by their reaction- you know that they heard the release of the shutter.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:15 PM   #3

The e30 shutter is much louder than the consumer E4xx/5xx/6xx cameras. I also believe it is a much higher quality shutter mechanism. Reminds me of the first time I fired a Canon EOS 3 film SLR.

I never handled and fired an E3, but the E5 shutter is both less noisy than the E30, but with a much, much higher quality sound and action to it. The only DSLR quieter than the E5 I have ever used is the E1, which was less noisy than anything by a long shot.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:36 AM   #4

Coming form an E620, I noticed the shutter on my E30 is significantly louder.. as with Zig, many birds I've photograph have reacted to the noise of the shutter.
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The e30 shutter is much louder than the consumer E4xx/5xx/6xx cameras. I also believe it is a much higher quality shutter mechanism. Reminds me of the first time I fired a Canon EOS 3 film SLR.

I never handled and fired an E3, but the E5 shutter is both less noisy than the E30, but with a much, much higher quality sound and action to it. The only DSLR quieter than the E5 I have ever used is the E1, which was less noisy than anything by a long shot.
I think all the cameras have the same shutter, the E-3, E-5, and E30. The E-5 and E-3 are identical as far as shutter sound. I think the only reason the E-30 sounds different is sound has to go through less stuff than the metal framed cameras.

The E-1 is in a class by itself. The only cameras that were more quiet didn't have to move a mirror.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:24 AM   #6

The E1's shutter is super quiet and I can;t understand why Oly stepped away from that with the E3. From all earlier accounts the E5 was supposed to be quieter than the E3, so I'm a bit surprised by Greg's hands on exp showing it to be the same as the E3.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote