Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:52 AM   #1

Default Cool "New" feature in the E5

One thing I never understood was, why did auto ISO not work in manual exposure mode? I always thought it'd be a cool thing and I know other brands offer it. Well...the E5 does now.

In the cogs menus, under "E", there's an option called "ISO Auto". if you change that to "All", auto ISO then becomes active in all exposure modes, including manual. I like this option mainly for flash. I always thought I should be able to manually set my own aperture and shutter speed while allowing the camera to select the more appropriate ISO....and now I can.

Cool, or have I just missed the boat all along on this one?

Have I just missed this on my E30? I do not have it with me to check.

Has the E3 offered this option? I certainly did not see it for the E5 reading that "thing" they call the manual.

Also Found the option for automatically tagging all images with a copyright at the time of capture, too and set that up.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Has the E3 offered this option?
Yes, the E-3 does allow ALL MODES auto-ISO.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:59 AM   #3

Greg, so does the 420, & pen this really allows for some creative flash ambient light balancing, (ie weddings, Christmas light portraits, etc.). When we going to get to see some images from that e-5?
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Also Found the option for automatically tagging all images with a copyright at the time of capture, too and set that up.
I didn't know about that - thanks.

Did you notice that you can change the file settings (RAW, RAW + Jpeg, and jpeg compression level) directly from the super control panel instead of having to go to two different menu locations?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Greg, so does the 420, & pen this really allows for some creative flash ambient light balancing, (ie weddings, Christmas light portraits, etc.). When we going to get to see some images from that e-5?
Charles
I was wondering if this was just something I had missed in my other bodies.

I picked my E5 up on the way out if town going to deal with some family-related "stuff", so have not been home to process anything. I do have some files to work with later today and will be back to posting some images shortly thereafter.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I didn't know about that - thanks.

Did you notice that you can change the file settings (RAW, RAW + Jpeg, and jpeg compression level) directly from the super control panel instead of having to go to two different menu locations?

Ted
Yes, that one is actually one I have been using with my E30 and E620. There are just way too many ways you can configure and use these bodies.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
In the cogs menus, under "E", there's an option called "ISO Auto". if you change that to "All", auto ISO then becomes active in all exposure modes, including manual.
OMG! I followed the instruction on my E-620 and was able to enable this! Sweet! Good find!!