Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:12 PM   #1

Default Not many yet, but here's a few E5 images

Been a little pre-occupied the past 3 days, but did manage to find a few subjects to snap a few images of while spending some time with the folks since picking up my E5. Tou can click on any of these to open the full-resolution files on my website.

These were captured RAW and processed in Adobe Camera RAW.

Just outside a railway museum in mid-day, high contrast light.

Somewhat strong side-lighting..

Then straight into heavy back-light.

My great-great grandmother's pocket watch with the 12-60 Zuiko...still works and keeps perfect time too...at ISO 3200..

Sacked-out nephew, with the FL50R flash.

Then later in the evening, using a single lamp source, from the door several feet away with the 50-200 at ISO 4000..

Christmas light display, which I shot using Live View and spot metering. Live view is a much, much improved process. Humpty-Dumpty at ISO 1250..

The Little Old Lady and her shoe at ISO 500..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:21 PM   #2

Outstanding results.

Tell me though, is the photo under the watch have moire of does it look like that?

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:00 PM   #3

I think all you are seeing there is the texture of the paper in the color image. Here's a 100% crop of that area.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:30 AM   #4

Images look great.

Enjoy your new E-5

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:17 AM   #5

....you are going to be happy (heck, we all are going to be happy) you have an E-5. Looking forward to your running reviews with samples.

All this new camera's (E-5, E-PL1, E-P3 & other rumors) stuff is stirring my 'want to' again so I've dusted off and charged a battery for my E-3 and attached a lens to it, now for time to get out & about with it.

Good to hear from you,
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:03 AM   #6

great well rounded examples Greg, the high iso files look impressive with no banding that I see, which is my personal concern.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I think all you are seeing there is the texture of the paper in the color image. Here's a 100% crop of that area.
I haven't seen any sign of moire, but its not something I come across regularly. I just jumpped the gun there. It just looks a bit stranve with such a sharp lens and a very shallow DOF that made that stand out.

Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:48 PM   #8

Before having to go out for the day this morning, I took my E5 out on the deck and shot a few distant targets with the E5 and 50-200 SWD+EC20 just to check out what type detail the combination could resolve.

It turns out, it can resolve quite a bit.

Captured RAW, I processed these in Adobe Camera RAW using -0- luminence noise filtering. I sharpened in ACR, then applied the mask slider in the sharpening window to the point no sharpening was applied to the sky or areas with no detail to keep noise down as much as possible.

All shot at the full zoom of 400mm and ISO 200..

and a couple of 100% crops..

In this next image, there's a small loop connected at the top that I have not been able to resolve very well with the 50-200 and EC20..

Here's a 100% crop from that area. You can tell this is at some distance from the wavy atmospheric distortion

100% crop..

Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:24 PM   #9

Hi Greg

The watch shot and the weee little one look just fine, the watch one esp. The fie loosk very clean and detailed esp for ISo3200.

Regards the latest shots and crops.. the amount of detail in the files looks very good, esp when you look at the crop area and whats being resolved.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote