Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
-=edge=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 220
Default Liasis Mackloti, Macklot's Python

Hatched out of the egg in October. The Macklot's Python, a native to Indonesia and related archipelagos is sometimes referred to as the Freckled Python. Known to be nippy as juveniles, a switch turns them off as adults and they tend to be one of the tamest of pythons and are very iniquisitive. This male who is unusually tame was the result of captive breeding and is about 20" total length, he will grow to be about 6-8 feet as an adult.

Shot using an Olympus E-3 with the Sigma 105/f2.8 Macro. Strobist info - Nikon SB-28 w/ GF Light Sphere, above camera left, fired using Radio Popper JrX.












-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,535
Default

Hi Edge Those are really superb .. snake or not thats a one mighty impressive animal and the pics are just spot on. The Sigma looks super sharp too, and good to see how well it works with the E3. Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:40 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Another superb group of photos, Edge! And the first ones I can recall from you, that show the snake's tongue.

That Sigma 105mm is the reason I always wonder why Oly users who love prime lenses, complain that Oly dropped their plans for a 100mm prime. What's wrong with the Sigma? Some folks say that being a macro, it's slow to focus for normal photography. Is that true in your experience?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
-=edge=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Edge Those are really superb .. snake or not thats a one mighty impressive animal and the pics are just spot on. The Sigma looks super sharp too, and good to see how well it works with the E3. Harj
Harj, don't know if you peeped my Exif, but I stopped down to f8 for these images, I was in mighty close and the DOF was still rather thin still...I love the lens for Macro work, so much so that I traded my Olympus ZD 50/f2 for a new Gitzo Basalt Tripod (hated the fly by wire on that lens and it's hunting in low light would wear on a battery quick!) I use the Sigma 105 in manual focus usually, because it dials in quick and it doesn't allow for M+CA-F/M+SA-F...in auto focus it does hunt sometimes, but there is a focus limiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Another superb group of photos, Edge! And the first ones I can recall from you, that show the snake's tongue.

That Sigma 105mm is the reason I always wonder why Oly users who love prime lenses, complain that Oly dropped their plans for a 100mm prime. What's wrong with the Sigma? Some folks say that being a macro, it's slow to focus for normal photography. Is that true in your experience?

Ted
Ted I'm not sure how it performs with portraits, all of my friends and family have run off after seeing my snake collection..... Actually I haven't tried it as I bought the lens strictly for Macro work, but I may have to give it a whirl now that you mention it....However, I bought the 35-100/f2 for this work, so I won't be upset if it doesn't perform as well
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
Ted I'm not sure how it performs with portraits, all of my friends and family have run off after seeing my snake collection.....
So maybe if you show them some portraits where their skin doesn't look like scales, they might start trusting you.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:13 PM.