Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   Northern Flicker (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr/181707-northern-flicker.html)

zig-123 Dec 21, 2010 9:11 AM

Northern Flicker
 
Boy, did it snow overnight. Woke up this morning to about a foot on the ground.
Typically with the ground covered, the birds are quite active around the feeder.
So, I set up the E-30 and was focusing the lens in when this first image came into view in my finder. The 2nd image is of the bird that was perched- a Northern Flicker
E-30 with 50-200mm ED lens

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Other/Phot...85_tt28n-L.jpg

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Other/Phot...8_VeJ3f-XL.jpg

gjtoth Dec 21, 2010 9:55 AM

And, a beauty he is, Zig! Ya kind of freaked me out with a headless flicker at first, though. heh

boBBrennan Dec 21, 2010 9:58 AM

...I've never seen one of this bird, pretty rascal & a nice photo of it. I like the snow too.
____
boBB

Greg Chappell Dec 21, 2010 10:02 AM

Beautiful bird, Zig. I've not seen one like that.

Did you see this?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37246747

zig-123 Dec 21, 2010 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Chappell (Post 1180493)
Beautiful bird, Zig. I've not seen one like that.

Did you see this?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37246747

Hi Greg,

Yes, I actually looked at that exact post about 5minutes prior to this Flicker showing.

That is probably one of the nicest bird shots that I've seen in quite some time.

Zig

zig-123 Dec 21, 2010 1:47 PM

Hi,

I thought it might be of interest to see what size birds I normally shoot. The following is a black capped chickadee shot within minutes of the flicker. It was shot at the same focal length of 76mm.

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Other/Phot...32_fm24z-L.jpg

gjtoth Dec 21, 2010 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1180595)
Hi,

I thought it might be of interest to see what size birds I normally shoot. The following is a black capped chickadee shot within minutes of the flicker. It was shot at the same focal length of 76mm.

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Other/Phot...32_fm24z-L.jpg

Flickers are huge in comparison to the chickadee. I've posted a few from the HS-10. They have, once again, become regulars at my feeding station.

boBBrennan Dec 21, 2010 2:19 PM

....no wonder then that 'flicker' filled the view first off, it is rather large as well as beautiful.

Greg Chappell Dec 21, 2010 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1180569)
Hi Greg,

Yes, I actually looked at that exact post about 5minutes prior to this Flicker showing.

That is probably one of the nicest bird shots that I've seen in quite some time.

Zig

Those Better Beamer flash attachments do quite a good job. I asked him which one he uses on his FL50R. have not gone back to see if he answered. None of the various models are shown as being right for the FL50R, probably because they sell so few of them to Olympus users.

gjtoth Dec 21, 2010 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Chappell (Post 1180617)
Those Better Beamer flash attachments do quite a good job. I asked him which one he uses on his FL50R. have not gone back to see if he answered. None of the various models are shown as being right for the FL50R, probably because they sell so few of them to Olympus users.

Flash extenders are pretty easy to make. Just a cut-down fresnel lens and a mounting device. http://brentpennington.com/2010/01/h...lash-extender/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2