Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:27 PM   #1

Default Some E5 Resolution -Check Images

The schedule and work have conspired against me doing a few things I have wanted to do since picking up my E5. I finally had a chance to shoot a set of images during, literally, the last 15-20 minutes this evening before the sun dropped too low to illuminate these buildings well enough. I like capturing these to check the resolving capabilities of any camera when I first start shooting with it. Each of these are hyperlinks, so clicking on the image will open them up in my website with access to the full-size file if you want to see the full resolution file. Lots of lines, intricate designs and shadows to peer into, and these are, I believe, the best-looking, highest resolved set I have captured with any Olympus camera.

Shot RAW and processed in Adobe Camera RAW with the 50-200 SWD, handheld through the window from our 8th floor office.

Focused on the brick wall underneath the larger dish between the taller buildings..

Just for fun, some more closeup images I shot after those, using the 50mm f2, EC20 tele-extender and FL50R flash, fitted with the Demb Bounce attachment. You can pretty much tell EXACTLY where the plane focus was placed. I moved to the various appropriate focus points so I did not have to focus and recompose.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:04 AM   #2

these look good resolution wise Greg, one thing I noticed following your links that the last 2 flowers seem to show much more tone transition & DR in the mids to highlights than I am used to seeing from Olympus. Did you do much highlight compression in LR to get this?
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:20 AM   #3

The one thing I did in Adobe Camera RAW that might have affected the dynamic range was, I used the Targeted Adjustment Tool to raise the hightlight levels a little. Otherwise, I did the usual adjusting, which was to add Clarity, sharpening, with masking, and luminence noise control.

From a noise control perspective, the masking tool seems to make the luminence noise slider's job much easier in areas of E5 files where no detail is present, like skies or blurred out areas beyond closeup images like the ones above.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote