Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:45 AM   #1

Default e-300 Revisit

Based on a couple of previous threads where Zig talked about getting out to get some winter scenes & another where Ted, & Bob B. were talking about the old Kodak sensors, decided to get the e-300 out yesterday & go up to Ohiopyle to see what I could capture. Unfortunately the high winds had blown off all the snow from the hemlocks & pines so sweeping vistas weren't that interesting. so I spent 2 hrs. perched 150 ft. up on an old railroad bridge above the Youghiogheny River, taking isolated water shots. here are some results from the e-300 & original 40-150mm.
Charles

And here are a couple trees from where the bridge meets the mountain side. quick processed in picasa to bring out the Kodak colors a little.

cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2

....that is exactly what I meant, excellent and thanks Charles.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Me too. I particularly like the abstract nature of the water shots, but the color in that last tree is awesome.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:32 AM   #4

Hi Charles,

Thanks for posting and vividly reinforcing the fact that the Kodak CCD sensor employed in the E-300 and later in the E-500 did indeed have a unique color quality.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this morning, I've reviewed a bunch of my archived files these last days and the colors that came out of the E-500 were very evident. Now, that's not saying that the quality of the images themselves were any good ( operator's lack of know how), but the colors those CCD sensors produced were outsanding IMHO.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:53 AM   #5

Processing old E300 files with the newest version of Adobe Camera RAW results in much better-looking images than I was able to get when I first processed those files 3-4 years ago, too. No doubt, used today with current software, the E300 within the ISO 100-400 range would be a fantastic setup, knowing you'd not have any image stabilization help.

I might just have to slap a BLM-1 in mine and play around with it some, too.

I've seen some users getting really nice-looking ISO 1600 results with E1 files using the newest version of ACR. I imagine ISO 800 is the practical limit on the E300 as you are already into ISO Boost at ISO 800 with that camera.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Me too. I particularly like the abstract nature of the water shots, but the color in that last tree is awesome.
Ted, the colors in the tree are mostly due to Mother Nature, as that tree was on the edge of the mountain, & it was overcast at sunset, but the overcast had an orange tint as the sun had gone below the ridges. right before I snapped this pic a very bright hole of blue sky opened up above the river gorge which reflected backup off the snow onto the tree. you can see this effect as there are no shadows under the fungus & the small hole toward the bottom of the pic the shadows are above the hole. this was a bare lens shot, I think if I had a skylight, uv, or polarizer filter on at the time of the shot I would have lost those subtle cyan casts in the bark.
Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Dec 29, 2010 at 8:44 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
No doubt, used today with current software, the E300 within the ISO 100-400 range would be a fantastic setup, knowing you'd not have any image stabilization help.

I imagine ISO 800 is the practical limit on the E300 as you are already into ISO Boost at ISO 800 with that camera.
The e-300 makes a decent "tripod landscape camera", & it can be used very effectively in the studio with lights, I leave the iso boost off, so mine maxes at 400, but I consider 200 the ceiling for my use, since I do not use any pp noise reduction. the thing I miss the most is the live view for critical focus shots.
Charles
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Ted, the colors in the tree are mostly due to Mother Nature, as that tree was on the edge of the mountain, & it was overcast at sunset, but the overcast had an orange tint as the sun had gone below the ridges. right before I snapped this pic a very bright hole of blue sky opened up above the river gorge which reflected backup off the snow onto the tree. you can see this effect as there are no shadows under the fungus & the small hole toward the bottom of the pic the shadows are above the hole. this was a bare lens shot, I think if I had a skylight, uv, or polarizer filter on at the time of the shot I would have lost those subtle cyan casts in the bark.
Charles
OK, thanks for the explanation. But if mother nature set up that shot, you still get 5 gold stars for recognizing it, and another 5 for capturing it so well. That photo is truly remarkable.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:05 AM   #9

Thanks for the kind comments, Ted.

Charles
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:15 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing those shots, I especially like the tree shots. i don't have the E-300, but I do have the E-330, and I have always liked that model.

While I now usually shoot with the E-520 only because of the built in IS, in my opinion, the E-330 is a better camera, better build quality, and has better color than the 520.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote