Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:23 PM   #1

Default 9-18mm wide angle lens

A belated Xmas present to myself. I pulled the trigger on a used 9-18mm WA lens listed on B&H Photo yesterday morning. I'd been wanting to get a wide angle for landscape work for some time now and have seen a number of 7-14mm WA on the used market.
I just couldn't bring myself to pressing the buy button. Even used, they are a bit steep. Especially, given the amount of use I think I'll give it.

Yesterday was the 1st time I actually saw a pre-owned 9-18m WA lens listed anywhere in quite some time.

Supposed to be delivered on Monday. Can't wait, as I think this will be a good lens to use on both the E-30 and E-PL1

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:35 PM   #2

Good snag, Zig. Your gonna like it. It does work very well on both bodies. I've not configured a good way of packing it in the LowePro Sling 200 bag I have settled on for my E5/E30 outfit that already has one of those bodies, with or without the accessory grip attached and with the 12-60 fitted, the 50mm f2, 50-200 SWD or 70-300 (not both), FL50R and EC20.

It weighs nothin', but the front element is big enough, with or without the hood reversed, that it needs a respectable amount of space.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:06 PM   #3

Cool! I almost snagged a 25mm pancake today... and still might. Are they worth it?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:42 PM   #4

It is tiny, with very respectable image quality. The size match is perfect for an E620. On the E30 or E5, it almost looks like you do not even have a lens fitted.

A combination of the 9-18, 25/2.8, 50mm f2 and EC20 will get you a pretty good working range (equivalent of 18-200mm) at little weight and bulk as long as you don't mind primes and lots of lens changes for everything beyond the super-wide coverage.

I should keep that in mind. I've got 'em all now.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:08 PM   #5

....from what I've seen of images from that lens I believe it will be a really good one for you Zig, happy for you to get it.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:11 PM   #6

I did a lot of lens shopping the last few days...I've tried the 9-18mm, 8mm fisheye, and 18-180mm, but I couldn't justify buying any of them.

I have a circular semi-fisheye converter, so the 9-18mm & 8mm full frame fisheye left me unsatisfied and not worth the money.

The 18-180mm, sure it has a large range in one lens, but for the weight and softness it also wasn't worth the money.

I did buy a used 70-300mm from B&H without having tried it...again I already have a 400mm & 500mm, but it's not too bad to carry a 70-300mm...only arrived late today so I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
I did a lot of lens shopping the last few days...I've tried the 9-18mm, 8mm fisheye, and 18-180mm, but I couldn't justify buying any of them.

I have a circular semi-fisheye converter, so the 9-18mm & 8mm full frame fisheye left me unsatisfied and not worth the money.

The 18-180mm, sure it has a large range in one lens, but for the weight and softness it also wasn't worth the money.

I did buy a used 70-300mm from B&H without having tried it...again I already have a 400mm & 500mm, but it's not too bad to carry a 70-300mm...only arrived late today so I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces.

Hi Mike,
Not surprised that you didn't get the 18-180. Even though, as you say, it has a large range at 10X, most all of the images I've seen have been soft.

I'm curious as to what you have for a circular semi-fisheye converter. That intrigues me.

I'll be surprised if you don't find the 70-300mm lens fun to use. It's quite sharp at f8-f11 at the long end of the range.

What do you use for 400mm and 500mm lenses? I continue to search for a sharp lens at 400mm-even if it's an old manual focus lens. I've tried a number of them but as yet have not found the right one.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'm curious as to what you have for a circular semi-fisheye converter. That intrigues me.
I wrote all about it at the following link (with images), so I won't repeat it now:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...d-14-45-a.html

Quote:
I'll be surprised if you don't find the 70-300mm lens fun to use. It's quite sharp at f8-f11 at the long end of the range.
I'll remember that. Up to now I've been using an OM 60-300mm push/pull lens that I bought for $60, but B&H had the Oly 70-300mm used for $200 and since the Canadian dollar is on par I jumped at it (right now it's $439 in Canada).

Quote:
What do you use for 400mm and 500mm lenses? I continue to search for a sharp lens at 400mm-even if it's an old manual focus lens. I've tried a number of them but as yet have not found the right one.
Actually I've been using Soligor T-mount lenses (first I attach the OM adapter, and then my OM/T-mount adapter). I bought the lenses (400mm f/6.3, 500mm f/8 catadioptric in the used bargain bin, and I wouldn't call them sharp, especially the 500mm, but for the price they tied me over.

The 400mm:
http://www.thecuckoofarm.com/cuckoo/...400/sol400.php

The 500mm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/3917662378/

Any out of focus highlights with catadioptrics produces doughnut shaped bokeh:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4188991_n.jpg

For the heck of it, here's a picture of a Tamron 500mm catadioptric on an Oly PEN I found while searching for the above links:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4142745...7622749486584/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Cool! I almost snagged a 25mm pancake today... and still might. Are they worth it?
I second what Greg said - it's a respectable lens and if you put it on a small body the combination almost becomes a P&S-with-more-control. Its IQ is not quite as good as the 50mm macro or the SHG lenses, but:

1. It is the second least expensive DSLR lens Oly sells
2. It is really small
3. Folks tend to use it for walk-around/street or family event photos, where ultimate IQ is far less important than recording the moment, and when you look at the photo you're not noticing the IQ so much as the moment that was recorded.
4. Did I mention that it is really small?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:48 AM   #10

Well, I was in for bit of a surprise this morning when the UPS guy delivered my package containing the 9-18mm lens. I had ordered the 9-18mm lens thinking it was for the fourthirds system. When I opened the package, lo and behold a 9-18mm lens for the micro fourthirds system.

At first I was really disappointed. Then I slipped it on the E-PL1 and turned the camera on. Wow, this little lens focuses fast. Much faster than the 14-42mm kit lens and about the same size as the 14-42mm.

When I started thinking about why I bought the lens, in the first place, I realized this will be the perfect compliment to the 14-42mm when taking wide angle landscapes and seascapes.

So, now I have 2 micro fourthirds lenses for my E-PL1. Just didn't quite plan it this way.

Zig