Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:13 PM   #1

Default Searching for the perfect camera bag (for me) ...

Hi,

This is what I am looking for:

- Sling (like the Lowepro Sling serie, I already have the 300)
- Enough room for my E-30 with 1 or 2 lenses
- Enough room for my lunch (I will use the bag to go to work).

Bonus:
- Enough room for an iPad ????

Any ideas?
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:19 PM   #2

Which lenses are the 1-2 lenses? The 14-42 and 40-150 is one thing, while the 12-60 and 50-200 are another all together.

There are sling-type bags and back packs that have two compartments, one for the equipment and the top half for other stuff, like your lunch.

Bags are a pain to look for. I've bought more than my share and never really been completely happy with any of them. Right now, the Lowepro Slingshot 200 is my bag of choice. If I didn't keep the 50-200 SWD in the top section, that'd be a good spot to carry lunch and keep it separate from everything else.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:55 PM   #3

I am thinking carrying the camera with one lens attached (usually the 12-60) with another lens with a max size like the 70-300
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:57 PM   #4

When you find one, let us know, as I too would like to have something that fits that description.

I've got the E-30 with the 12-60 lens on it and usually want to have the 50-200mm Ed +hood and EC-20 in the bag as well.

I bought the Tamrac Velocity 7X - a good bag, well made but just a bit too small to fit all of the above. Forget the lunch.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:40 AM   #5

Personally I hate camera bags, especially the excessive bulk inside that wastes space. I use ordinary backpacks without dividers (I use lens pouches and the Oly semi-hard SLR case (CS-7SH) for protection).

For days I got to carry a lot I have a backpack on wheels similar to http://shop.timberland.com/product/i...ductId=4204653 but the main compartment on mine is larger.

For other times I use a smaller backpack w/o wheels that I use to carry stuff every day.

Both packs can also hold my laptop. I prefer bags that don't scream camera.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:35 PM   #6

I have been researching for the perfect camera bag for quite a while. I have bought 3 Lowepro bags but none of them fit my requirements which are very similar with yours.

Finally I found the Lowepro Fastpack 250. It works perfectly for me. Current I have pretty much all my major gears in it and still have rooms for a laptop and a light jacket if the weather gets warm. Here are all the gears I have in the main compartment of my bag:

- E30/HLD-4 with 12-60 and hood attached
- 50-200 with hood reversed attached
- 50/f2 with hood reversed attached to EC-20
- Black Rapid strap folded
- Fl-36R

I have the upper compartment pretty much empty that can hold lots of other stuff. I use it for my 35-100/f2 sometimes if necessary. I do not carry my laptop with me in the bag. But the laptop compartment is perfect for your iPad.

Take a look at this bag, it serves me very well for the whole year.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...50,2086,14.htm

Last edited by jacobt; Dec 31, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:26 PM   #7

I was talking with the good folks at Arlington Camera today and they also mentioned the Tamrac Evolution series. There are two models, the smaller Evolution 6, which is about the size of my Slingshot 200, and the Evolution 8, which the specs suggest falls between my Slingstot 200 and the bigger new Slingshot, the 302. A "tweener" like that is really what I need. This Slingshot 200 I have is "OK", but there's almost -0- extra room after loading the E5 with grip and 12-60 fitted, the FL50R, 50-200 SWD, 50mm f2 and EC20 in the other pockets. The 50-200 SWD with a reversed hood does not even fit in the equipment area. I have to put it in the upper area meant for accessories. With the Evolution 8, I could just mount it on the camera and place the 12-60 in an extra lens slot.

The Evolution 8 looks like an excellent solution. It can be carried like a backpack or slingshot and can be accessed from either the right or left-hand side..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ac_578801.html

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 31, 2010 at 1:31 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:38 PM   #8

i just bought this one for my nikon gear http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGMQ8gIwBA#
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:12 AM   #9

So far, no luck. Maybe I should continue to use my backpack and add some padding inside. I went to the biggest camera stores around here and the best I found was some kind of Pentax "oem" slingbag from Pentax...
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:34 PM   #10

Well well well ... Maybe I found something after all ...

http://www.bbpbags.com/dslrslinger.html