Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:23 PM   #1

Default .....getting 2011 started

....today I put a battery into the E-3 and latched on the 40-150 f.3.5-4.5 lens; made a couple photos to get 2011 started. It is cold out today and I will watch the TCU - Rose Bowl football game so these did not take much in the way of time or effort.

I wanted to use the old 40-150 which is actually brand new, it has been bagged for 5 years, on the E-3 it is a pretty nice combination.

Only the holly here has been cropped, Autumn is two shots. All shot RAW and converted with Bibble Pro v5.1.1 --- E-3 w/Oly 40-150 f/3.5-4.5 and Promaster 5750DX flash.

I now have officially begun the new year & hoping to be much more active with the cameras this year than last.
____
boBB

Our very good friend, Autumn, 15lbs of wildcat

....holly winter color

nandina glowing

....a bamboo
boBBrennan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:29 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting images using the 40-150mm (v1.0) lens. I have to
remember to use that lens as I bought a used one and it's been sitting on the shelf, in my closet for the last year.

Your images of Autumn are a good example of the detail and resolution one can get with this lens. i love 'em.
zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:57 PM   #3

Excellent shots; I've always been a fan of the kit lens. To me, no other system offers as good quality of the basic lens as the Oly E-systems.

By the way, isn't that the cat that you walk on a leash?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:04 AM   #4

Zig, do give it a try, I believe the 'original' 40-150 is the better of that lens range and it matches up physical size very nicely, it handles well.

Steven, I like using the old basic outfits occasionally.... For our vacation last July I left the E-3 on the shelf in favor of the E-300, 14-54 & 70-300; was a good feeling set. I like my original 14-45 and use it too.

Yes, Autumn did walk with me during her first fall & winter but then her coat began maturing to be quite dense and very long hair, she just could not tolerate the exercise/heat the next spring and we put the leash away..... She has been happy ever since, but for a while we had good walks and Autumn gained a reputation amongst the Jack Russell's of the neighborhood for standing her space.

This was the Oly7070WZ video I made one day, I wonder how an E-PL1 would have done, I'm thinking not any better or as well. http://tinyurl.com/267cgpb
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:13 AM   #5

Nice cat Bob, & good shots to. I agree with you about the 40-150, it is probably my most used Olympus lens, it is one of my favorites for "moderate light" event & portrait photography. I do not know how to explain it but portraits shot at any focal length with this lens at f/4.5 just have a "certain look" to them that I like, the 50-200mm just doesn't have the same results with portraits IMHO. I have often debated buying several used ones, because they are no longer made but haven't got around to it yet, maybe this year before they get scarce.
Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Jan 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:10 PM   #6

You'd almost think it was warm here looking at those! What a complex coloration your kitty has. makes for a lot to look at, and the eyes are beautiful.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:35 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell;..........and the eyes are beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Greg, we fell in love with the 'facial' expression of Autumn when she first came galloping to us one day as a kitten, breaking away from the litter of feral siblings homed under shrubbery across the street, and still today 2 1/2 years later she melts our hearts with her pouty staring.
____
boBB