Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:13 AM   #1

Default for 2011, I shall Bore you to Tears....

with more reptile pictures.

These were all shot using the Olympus E-3 and the Sigma 105mm/f2.8 Macro. Lighting was provided by two Nikon SB-28 flashes fired remotely using Radio Popper JrX's. I used a homemade softbox camera right and a homemade beauty dish camera left. ISO was set manually at 800, 1/250 @ f22. PP was done in LR 3.3 and the images were shrunk to fit web in CS5. The only cropping done was to keep all of the images a consistent 12" x 18" print size, all were shot in a portrait aspect.

This is another series of my Biak Locale Green Tree Python, still going through it's ontogenetic color change, the greens are really starting to come through.

Last edited by -=edge=-; Jan 4, 2011 at 1:48 AM.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:00 AM   #2

More of your stunning images; they always capture a viewer's attention and draw one's eyes to the main subject like magnets.

(And what did you use for a background to get it so well color coordinated with the subject??)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:12 AM   #3

Beautiful specimen...love snakes.
You have some great shots here, some wonderful 'Close ups'.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:13 AM   #4

.....I don't dislike snakes at all but I do dislike being near LIVE ones, I believe it has to do because of an experience when I was a kid.

BUTTTT!, I enjoy reading and learning of them and I thrill at seeing your photos, the snakes are beautiful and your photography of them is so very good. Thanks for explaining the lighting too.

Boring, no way, I haven't yet shed a tear. Looking for more.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:27 AM   #5

All right, a reptile lover! Are you a hobbyist? I love the GTP. Looking to add a couple to the collection.
Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:01 PM   #6

Edge The pics are simply stunning .. that 105 f2.8 macro looks to be a seriously good bit of glass and the snakes well.... pretty cool looking too.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:05 PM   #7

Edge,

one thing your snakes images are definitely NOT! is boring.

They may be hair raising, startling, really outstanding, Wow, How did he do that.

Boring?...........naaaaah

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:07 PM   #8

Edge, great pics as usual. I noticed something for the first time, although I admit I haven't studied the GTP in depth, but am curious about the purpose of the orifices/organs on the bottom lip. never seen that before. Are they heat sensors?

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
More of your stunning images; they always capture a viewer's attention and draw one's eyes to the main subject like magnets.

(And what did you use for a background to get it so well color coordinated with the subject??)
...the backgrounds....well, that's a secret. Honestly, my backgrounds are simply prints on Epson professional matte paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
Beautiful specimen...love snakes.
You have some great shots here, some wonderful 'Close ups'.
Thank you Lisa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.....I don't dislike snakes at all but I do dislike being near LIVE ones, I believe it has to do because of an experience when I was a kid.

BUTTTT!, I enjoy reading and learning of them and I thrill at seeing your photos, the snakes are beautiful and your photography of them is so very good. Thanks for explaining the lighting too.

Boring, no way, I haven't yet shed a tear. Looking for more.
____
boBB
more to come...thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
All right, a reptile lover! Are you a hobbyist? I love the GTP. Looking to add a couple to the collection.
I've been into reptiles since a very young age, I'm into them a lot more now though. The GTP's are awesome creatures, especially at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Edge The pics are simply stunning .. that 105 f2.8 macro looks to be a seriously good bit of glass and the snakes well.... pretty cool looking too.
Harj, I cannot say enough about this lens...I actually traded my 50/f2 for a tripod after I bought this lens a few months ago. I still haven't tried it for portraits yet but for macro work it's very good. thanks for your kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Edge,

one thing your snakes images are definitely NOT! is boring.

They may be hair raising, startling, really outstanding, Wow, How did he do that.

Boring?...........naaaaah

Zig
Haha...Thanks Zig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Edge, great pics as usual. I noticed something for the first time, although I admit I haven't studied the GTP in depth, but am curious about the purpose of the orifices/organs on the bottom lip. never seen that before. Are they heat sensors?
the labial pits are indeed organs, for detecting heat. They are a bit more primitive than the loreal pits seen in pit vipers in that they do not have a membrane that enhances the imagery. These heat based images are produced via a protein triggering a nerve, and have nothing to do with photoreception as seen in IR imagery. As the pit chambers are warmed the nerves fire to the brain and determine (paint a picture) the size and location of the heat based object/potential prey item. These visualizations use the same principles as a pinhole camera in that the location of the heat signature is in direct correlation of the direction of nerve impulses in exact location on the pit wall or membrane. Imagery is extremely low in resolution and it is believed that these snakes will hang around a cooler area to afford themselves more contrast for a more accurate picture. This concept along with our own vision/perception of light makes our world's existence an overwhelming thought, add to the fact our species has developed a way to mimic these very principles and put them to use by way of tools (the camera). It's a pretty amazing world we live in.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:28 AM   #10

This series is of my hatchling Aru Locale Green Tree Python. This snake is a sweetheart, completely tame and always confident, unlike the Biak Island, which is flighty and likes to bite from time to time. This snake is about 1/2 the size of the Biak Island Locale Green Tree Python pictured at the top of this thread.