Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:53 PM   #11

Ken,
There's always someone in the crowd that just goes a little bit too far.

AND YES I"M ENVIOUS!!!$##%^^^@#$$$:

Seriously, glad to hear from you and judging from the photo of you and your lovely bride, the weather appears to be just ducky.

By the way, When the two of you got married, did you have to leave the state because you married a minor?
I only ask because Sharon looks so much younger than you.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:51 PM   #12

You mean my childbride, it's OK she's my kid brothers daughter...

Yes Sharon is a few years younger...and a bit wiser than me.
You know how to make a woman happy don't you..
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
BTW, on an overall scale that Sunset Crater volcano was just a minor burp. Even Mount St. Helens (at under 10K feet) was kinda wimpy compared to this volcano:

You're looking at the settting of Flagstaff, which sits beyond the foreground trees at the base of a giant caldera. The highest peak, at 12,633 feet, is Humphrey's Peak on the left above. But if you imagine extending the curves of the peaks you see here, up to the peak of the original mountain before the volcanic eruption, geologists estimate that it was a 14K peak.

And even that one is small compared to whatever happened at what is called the Yellowstone Supervolcano. The Yellowstone caldera itself measures 34 x 45 miles (just a bit larger than what you see above ).

Are you warm yet?

Ted
Ted: That is a beautiful landscape shot! And the information just adds to the photo. Was that a scan from a 35mm photo?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
You mean my childbride, it's OK she's my kid brothers daughter...

Yes Sharon is a few years younger...and a bit wiser than me.
You know how to make a woman happy don't you..

A few years? A few years?
Yeah, right, and now you are going to offer me a great deal on some swampland here in Florida.

(P.S.-- She's also very pretty and much better looking than you. LOL)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:36 PM   #15

OK.....10 years. The rest I'll agree with, she is prettier than me.

I've been a bit lazy these past few weeks. On Mexico manana time. Then with not seeing the grandkids for a couple of years, I left all the photo taking to Jenny my daughter. Her Xmas gift was the Canon super zoom. SX 130 IS. She has a great eye for composition. I do have a few I took and I'll sort them in the next day or three.

They've all gone back to China now so I made a stop at the timeshare units we were supposed to go to before Sharon's gall bladder kicked up and gave them the sob story.
They said no worries, how would you like the next 2 weeks here as part of your timeshare.......?
I said "Let me think about it" for 2 seconds!!! and here we are at Solmar Suites at the southernmost tip of Baja.

Anyway, meet the gang. Sharon and Jenny (with new camera) at Cabo Pulmo
and David, my son-in-law from Tuvalu, somewhere west of Samoa. Elih is 10 and Talia is 9. English polynesion hybrids!!!

Oh and Lulu the dolphin.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
By the way, When the two of you got married, did you have to leave the state because you married a minor?
I only ask because Sharon looks so much younger than you.

Zig
Much better looking, too.

Ken. all kidding aside that's a really good photo and it must be really interesting and fun to have such an international family.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:51 AM   #17

Default Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Ted: That is a beautiful landscape shot! And the information just adds to the photo. Was that a scan from a 35mm photo?
Thanks, Steven. That was taken with a P&S, the Fuji E550. Introduced in 2004, it was one of the first P&S cameras that got everything right: 6MP, a 32.5mm - 130mm equiv. zoom lens, an OVF that zoomed with the lens, and (as you saw) excellent IQ. If it wasn't for the tiny sensor it would even today be a great camera and in fact my wife uses it and really likes it because she's disinterested in operating a computer just to take a picture. (I can live with the xD card since I have a few, and anyway the Oly DSLR I had at the time - an E20 - used a SmartMedia card in the 2nd slot so I felt the xD was a real improvement. )

For some reason, a lot of the photos from the E550 and the E20 back then, are missing the exif data and I don't know why. Living in northern Arizona where typical daylight is 6,000 footcandle or more, I had to keep the default contrast at -2 and tweak it back in PShop. I was using v7 and maybe that version eradicated the exif data.

Ted

PS: Don't tell Gary I have a Fuji camera.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote