Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1

Default Newest NHL game images with the E5

Last night attended the game here in Dallas between the Stars and the Edmonton Oilers, who probably felt right at home. That walk between my office and the arena in the mid-20's (farenheit), both before and after the game, for a thin-blooded Texan was hell....

Used the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD. Shutter Speed Priority, auto white balance and auto ISO with the full range available to the camera. I came home with 407 images shot between ISO 800-4000, picked out the 78 I liked best, processed them in Adobe Camera RAW and loaded them to my Smugmug hockey folder.

Regarding the focus mode, the entire game was spent in continuous AF with the center diamond pattern enabled and I was firing away all game. Reviewing the images on my computer I did delete a few (around 8-10) that were not critically sharp, but otherwise the AF system was a gem, with a very positive action as I was following the puck all over the rink. Again, the best continuous AF I have ever had with any Olympus DSLR.

I actually shot closer to 500 images. I can tell from the first and last file numbers I took 488 shots during the game, deleting a few at once if I didn't like them, and I took a few during pre-game, all of which I deleted.

I pretty much locked in my sharpening and noise filtering in Adobe Camera RAW as I processed these, creating profiles so I can apply settings consistently going forward based on the ISO used, at least in the ISO 800-4000 range.

A gathering at the glass (ISO 3200)..

Flying....literally....at ISO 2000..

Taunting along the glass at ISO 2000..

Some mid-ice action, this one at ISO 1250..

Turning back the shot at ISO 1250..

Two players who do not see eye to eye, and an official does his best Inspector Clouseau pose..

Headed the other direction at ISO 1250..

Some action in front of the pretty ladies (and they guys with the white lenses) at ISO 3200..

"Hey, Beer man!", at ISO 4000. The shot was actually of the action along the glass. I didn't even notice this guy was, evidently, looking directly at me..

Out of the way, linesman. ISO 1600..

Contested slapshot at ISO 1600..

Just off the post at ISO 2500. Shooting at the end closest to me, the camera did an excellent job focusing through the safety net and on the players instead..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:12 AM   #2

These are very impressive Greg, especially for the higher ISO images, wow. An E5 is definitely on my hit list!
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:59 AM   #3

Great shots, Greg, and I love the humor in #6 - who would expect humor on the ice during a hockey game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That walk between my office and the arena in the mid-20's (farenheit), both before and after the game, for a thin-blooded Texan was hell....
Let me see if I understand this. You're claiming that the first time hell froze over, it froze over in Texas?

Hard for me to believe the Canadians in this forum are going to accept this claim.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jan 13, 2011 at 7:08 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:31 AM   #4

Greg, all kidding aside I think you should submit #6 as a POTD. Here's a suggestion for the caption:

"OK, guys, break it up. I'm warning you."

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:44 AM   #5

Good morning Greg,

These, as well as, the entire gallery of images posted on your site are quite impressive. Not only from a clarity perspective, but also the White Balance is very consistent throughout the range of images as is sharpness.

I'm very happy to hear that the C-AF worked as it should. Very encouraging for someone who is thinking of upgrading and looking at other systems.

I'm curious about what your profile settings for noise reduction and sharpness are in ACR. That would help explain how much noise there was prior to PP.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Greg, all kidding aside I think you should submit #6 as a POTD. Here's a suggestion for the caption:

"OK, guys, break it up. I'm warning you."

Ted
I think Ted is right, and the title is perfect.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'm curious about what your profile settings for noise reduction and sharpness are in ACR. That would help explain how much noise there was prior to PP.

Zig
I left certain defaults at their default settings. In the Sharpening Window, I left the Radius at 1 and I left masking set to -0-. In the noise filtering section, I left the color noise slider set to its' default setting of 25.

ISO 800
Sharpening Amount- 45
Detail- 35

Noise Reduction
Luminence NR-35
Luminence Detail- 50

ISO 1250 and 1600
Sharpening Amount- 45
Detail- 35

Noise Reduction
Luminence NR-40
Luminence Detail- 50

ISO 2000
Sharpening Amount- 45
Detail- 35

Noise Reduction
Luminence NR-50
Luminence Detail- 50

ISO 2500
Sharpening Amount- 35
Detail- 35

Noise Reduction
Luminence NR-50
Luminence Detail- 60

ISO 3200
Sharpening Amount- 40
Detail- 35

Noise Reduction
Luminence NR-50
Luminence Detail- 60

ISO 4000
Sharpening Amount- 40
Detail- 35

Noise Reduction
Luminence NR-55
Luminence Detail- 60

Going back to that first image I posted, which is an ISO 3200 image..

Here's a 100% section after all the parameters are applied..

Here is the approximate same area with the Luminence noise filter turned back to -0- and the sharpening turned back to the ACR defaults prior to me applying any changes.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:26 PM   #8

Greg,

I am so sorry to have made you do all this work. I never realized that you had made this many different profiles.

It is much appreciated.............
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:05 PM   #9

Cut and paste is my friend...

It didn't take much work at all. Was a good exercise and interesting setting it out like that to see the progression.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:21 PM   #10

Just went back to the game with Montreal and applied progessively upgraded parameters for ISO 5000 and ISO 6400 files I took that night and saved those parameters. I may tweek them a little over time, but for now and at these highest sensitivities, this'll work for me.

ISO 5000.

ISO 6400, which to me is pushing it a little bit. Looks OK enough up to about a 67% view, or the XLarge3 setting on Smugmug...one step below a full 100% view.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM.