Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:02 AM   #1

Default [pics] female Superb Fairy-wrens

My first trip out with the new lens & teleconverter combo! I splashed some cash on a new Zuiko 50-200 SWD f2.8-3.5 lens & EC14 1.4x teleconverter as I felt I had reached the limits of my 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lens, & I was looking for a lens that was faster & would better handle low light situations. As soon as my new gear arrived I was itching to get outside & take it through its paces.

The sun finally made an appearance over the last weekend in July so I headed down to the Royal Botanic Gardens in Cranbourne. This was my first trip to the gardens & I was pleasantly surprised by the bird activity; Yellow Robins, New Holland Honeyeaters, Superb Fairy-wrens & White-browed Scrubwrens were in abundance.

I chose a secluded spot in the gardens just off one of the many walking tracks where I noticed a few Fairy-wrens & Yellow Robins feeding & sat patiently watching the birds. The sun was really bright & the birds were very active which made for quite challenging birding, especially with the new gear.

After a while, a few of the birds grew curious of me & would pop up not too far from me to investigate. This fairy-wren landed very close, unfortunately in almost direct sunlight. I was able to recover most of the detail using Lightroom.

July 25th, 2010
Royal Botanic Gardens, Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia
Olympus E620
Zuiko 50-200mm SWD lens
EC14 Teleconverter

http://pixelatedempire.com/2010/11/superb-fairy-wren-4/

I chose a secluded spot in the gardens just off one of the many walking tracks where I noticed a few Fairy-wrens & Yellow Robins feeding & sat patiently watching the birds. The sun was really bright & the birds were very active which made for quite challenging birding, especially with the new gear.

After a while, a few of the birds grew curious of me & would pop up not too far from me to investigate. Once they had assessed that I posed no threat to them, the Superb Fairy-wrens in particular went about their business of searching for food, coming very close to me. The little buggers moved so quickly though, it was quite difficult to obtain focus lock, which resulted in many blurred images. This was the best of the day.

Despite only taking three keepers for the arvo, I was very pleased with how the new lens & teleconverter combination performed, & the detail captured was definitely a step up from the 70-300mm lens.

http://pixelatedempire.com/2010/11/superb-fairy-wren-5/

Cheers
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2

Alway fun to try new gear isn't it. They look as sharp as a tack with some fine detail. I don't know how their colouring really looks like but it looks like you're caught between speed (to catch the little buggers) and slower shots ( to get more saturation) Or just plain compensation, down to about a -07.

Looking forward to seen more with that combo.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:59 PM   #3

looked at this because I didn't know the bird name. Glad I looked. What a beaut. You have some nice feathered friends down under.. Don't think I've ever seen one..
BTW do you get on better with the 50-200 than the 70-300. The 50-200 is on my wish list
looks sharp ..
al
Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Or just plain compensation, down to about a -07.
These were taken before I started experimenting with exposure compensation.. not sure how I live without it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs View Post
BTW do you get on better with the 50-200 than the 70-300. The 50-200 is on my wish list
As much as I enjoyed my 70-300, the 50-200 & EC14 is in another class when it comes to image quality. Sacrificing the extra 17mm (300 vs 283) was definitely worth it for me. Just makes me work harder in the field in getting closer to my targets.
Facebook

Last edited by piXelatedEmpire; Jan 16, 2011 at 4:29 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:39 PM   #5

Always look forward to seeing Adam's bird shots. #2 is really sharp.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piXelatedEmpire View Post
These were taken before I started experimenting with exposure compensation.. not sure how I live without it now!

As much as I enjoyed my 70-300, the 50-200 & EC14 is in another class when it comes to image quality. Sacrificing the extra 17mm (300 vs 283) was definitely worth it for me. Just makes me work harder in the filed in getting closer to my targets.
I know you get good light in oz compared to UK but was wondering how the 50-200 is in lower light. I'm always struggling to get a fast shutter with my 70-300 , in the winter. I spend most of my time shooting little birds and would like a faster lens on my 520... ta
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:29 AM   #7

It's definitely superior to the 70-300 in lower light, even with the EC14 attached.
Facebook

Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:06 AM   #8

I find #2 particularly fascinating. It is super sharp and gives me a good look at a small bird. Around here the small ones move around too quickly to get a good look at them - I guess you need to be quick when you're near the bottom of the food chain.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote