Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Thanks for all the replys.
In my case its
Do I need one " No "
Do I want one " Yes "

I am sure most of you have been there.

Fred..
For what it's' worth, Olympus USA now has a factory store and there are refurbed E-30's available for 669.00. They come with a 90day warranty and 30 day return.

That is actually a pretty good price considering it's been thoroughly checked and has a (albeit limited) warranty.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Should I get my head checked ?
I had mine checked. They found way too much bone and not enough gray matter.

The used market for cameras like the e30 and e3 makes them very attractive. The advantages also include a longer life shutter. I don't know how your trusty E520 is set there, but that may have something to keep in mind.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:16 PM   #13

I started off with an E620.. and after a year moved up to an E30, which I love. The prices on E30s is excellent.
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:31 PM   #14

Hey Fred: Just as an FYI, I've also been looking at justifying an E-30. I vote that you go for it.

I can't pull the trigger and buy one now, but at the prices I'm currently seeing, between $625-700, it's awfully tempting. I like the two control wheels and the viewfinder of the E-30.

I'm not displeased with either my E-330 or E-520, so it's not something I have to do, but I am seriously considering it. (I also admit that I would like to have the Leica setup that Ted has, but I'm not going to tell him that.)

Part of my problem is I can't bring myself to sell the old equipment to pay for the new. (I still have 3 OM 35mm bodies). Knowing that, I justify my purchases by buying bargains on the used market. That way I don't feel as guilty about all the equipment that I collect. (The last Oly that I bought new was my C-8080, and that one cost more than any of the E system cameras that I bought after that.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Ted,

Please don't take me seriously, as I was having fun. I thought I made that clear. As I said earlier:

Sorry Ted, Greg,
Had to get that in there.
However, I apologize if it bothered you.
Zig
Zig, your comment didn't bother me at all and I apologize if it seemed that I was offended. Truth be told it caused me to think some more about why I bought the E5. Along with the reason I stated, I was also motivated by the possibility that the E5 may be the last pro 4/3 DSLR Oly makes, and I'm gonna need real proof that an EVF will be as good as an OVF especially when panning. A third reason is that Oly finally got everything right in that camera. (Except, of course, for their hazardous process for updating the firmware.)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Zig, your comment didn't bother me at all and I apologize if it seemed that I was offended. Truth be told it caused me to think some more about why I bought the E5. Along with the reason I stated, I was also motivated by the possibility that the E5 may be the last pro 4/3 DSLR Oly makes, and I'm gonna need real proof that an EVF will be as good as an OVF especially when panning. A third reason is that Oly finally got everything right in that camera. (Except, of course, for their hazardous process for updating the firmware.)

Ted
Hey Ted,
Good morning.

Glad to hear we're on even keel. Out of all of this is the reality that the E-5, by every measure, is the camera all of us were hoping the Olympus would have released a long time ago.

That in no way, diminishes the capabilities of the previous models. But all of them, including my E-30, have some issues, that I frankly would love to somehow eliminate- through firmware, etc. But that's wishful thinking on my part.

Until I've saved up enough pennies to upgrade to the E-5, I'll continue to use my E-30 and admire the photos you E-5 owners post on this site.

That is, unless Olympus surprises us all by releasing another fourthirds camera body
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
For what it's' worth, Olympus USA now has a factory store and there are refurbed E-30's available for 669.00. They come with a 90day warranty and 30 day return.

That is actually a pretty good price considering it's been thoroughly checked and has a (albeit limited) warranty.
Unless things have changed, you can get an Olympus extended warranty, and as long as you register the warranty with Olympus BEFORE the 90 days are up, that gives you a two (2) year warranty on top of the 90 days!

The question is what does Olympus classify the E-30 as, because it's $90 for consumer bodies, and $170 for pro bodies (at least when you buy the warranty direct from Olympus, sometimes other places sell it cheaper but you have to make sure you're getting the OLYMPUS warranty, and it's the right policy for your type of camera.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote