Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Should I get my head checked ?

I have a E-520 and there is Nothing wrong with it.
IMO it take good pictures.
I am always looking at the E-30.
thinking " Should I buy one "
Cannot afforde an E-5
The E-30 Body only is not a bad price

Do I need professional HELP
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:41 AM   #2

Nope, not at all. It does take excellent pics. The reasons I moved on from my E520 were the 5 frames per second of the E30 for horse racing, better af system for sports imaging and access to a vertical grip. Additional benefits include two control dials, much better quality optical finder, higher flash sync shutter speed, a digital level, af area adjustment and more af point options just to name a few, so there are definitely reasons why an E30 can make sense, but if what the E520 offers works for what you like to shoot, image quality alone is no real reason to need to change as the E520 can definitely deliver that.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:07 PM   #3

In the film days, the best photographers were able to take outstanding photos with a Polaroid camera, which was widely regarded as a mediocre camera. Don't get bitten by the "gotta have better equipment" bug unless your current equipment just isn't able to do what you need.

In this forum Steven R posts great photos with Oly gear he bought for incredibly low prices.

Ted

PS: Regarding the equality of Steven's photos, I would never admit to this publically.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
I have a E-520 and there is Nothing wrong with it.
IMO it take good pictures.
I am always looking at the E-30.
thinking " Should I buy one "
Cannot afforde an E-5
The E-30 Body only is not a bad price

Do I need professional HELP
Hi Fred,

It's funny that the first two people who replied to your post are both owners of an E-5, hmmm........

Sorry Ted, Greg,
Had to get that in there

I agree with everything that both Ted and Greg have said. I also have the E-30. It is a wonderful camera and I'm very happy to have it for all the reasons that Greg has listed. I upgraded to an E-30 after having an E-510 for a couple of years.

The main reason I upgraded was that the E-510 simply couldn't focus as well as I needed it to be able to shoot birds in flight as well as having a tendency to blow out highlights in high contrast scenes. The E-30, I'm happy to report really improved on those deficiencies.

And while I agree that a new camera wont necessarily make you a better photographer, I'll be the first to tell you that there is value in having a camera that is packed with a lot of features that make it a pleasure to use and fun going out and taking pictures again. The E-30 is such a camera. The features packed into the E-30, (if you take advantage of them) really will make a difference in your enjoyment of photography.

And that, is where I think the E-30 adds value and is worth upgrading.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:54 PM   #5

I *did* have a strong desire to upgrade to the E-5 or E-30 from my E-620. However, I have been forcing myself to wait 72 hours before I make any jumps. I've come to the same conclusion as these other guys - If it does what you want it to do, when you want it to do it, save your money.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Fred,

It's funny that the first two people who replied to your post are both owners of an E-5, hmmm........
Zig
True. But I didn't buy it just to have the latest & greatest and I'm pretty sure Greg didn't either. I bought the E5 because I need better high-ISO for the primary work I do, which is indoor available light work without flash. Greg's need is similar. I can't speak for him but in my case I wouldn't have needed to purchase the E-5 just for normal daylight photography.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
True. But I didn't buy it just to have the latest & greatest and I'm pretty sure Greg didn't either. I bought the E5 because I need better high-ISO for the primary work I do, which is indoor available light work without flash. Greg's need is similar. I can't speak for him but in my case I wouldn't have needed to purchase the E-5 just for normal daylight photography.

Ted
Ted,

Please don't take me seriously, as I was having fun. I thought I made that clear. As I said earlier:

Sorry Ted, Greg,
Had to get that in there.

However, I apologize if it bothered you.

Zig

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:00 PM   #8

In a 4 to 5 years period, I moved from the E500 to the E520 to the E30 ... But I kept the E520 as my second body. So far, I am very happy with the E30! ... And both my bodies are using the same lens and battery ... Which is great!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:37 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replys.
In my case its
Do I need one " No "
Do I want one " Yes "

I am sure most of you have been there.

Fred..
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Thanks for all the replys.
In my case its
Do I need one " No "
Do I want one " Yes "

I am sure most of you have been there.

Fred..
Then, I can't think of a better reason.

Zig