Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Eric,

I've had very good success enlarging photographs by first running the image through Adobe's Camera RAW 6.3 and choosing the largest file size it can deliver. I then open the image in CS5 and run the Gen. Fractals plug-in. Choosing the larger file size in ACR 6.3, means that Fractals has less work to do to bring it up to the desired image size.

One point; After I've completed all the editing and enlarging in CS5, I then open the file in ACR6.3 and inspect the image for noise as well as final sharpening- if needed. That last step has made a significant difference in the final product.

Zig
ACR6.3 offers a number of upsampling choices but my understanding is that too much can introduce unwanted artifacts. Does anyone know if that is a fact?
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post
ACR6.3 offers a number of upsampling choices but my understanding is that too much can introduce unwanted artifacts. Does anyone know if that is a fact?
Hi,

I'm not sure if it's fact or not. But, I've not noticed anything in my upsampled images that would bother me- to this point.

I just did a quick test, after reading your post. I took a photo that had been previously run through ACR. The original size was 8 x 10 376dpi. I upsampled it to 20 x 25 x 240dpi. and then cropped the same section of each image to compare. To me, it looks like rather than introducing artifacts, the software is magnifying what is already there.

Note: I did not do any post processing to the cropped images

Original Photo:

cropped area of original photo:

cropped area of upsampled image:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure if it's fact or not. But, I've not noticed anything in my upsampled images that would bother me- to this point.
I always thought that dividing the dimensions of the photograph by the dpi, would give you the size of the picture at the end, without IQ loss.

ie. [email protected] would give you a 30"x30" print? (3000/100=30).

If someone asks for a specific dpi, then you can know the biggest print you can have without loosing IQ as well.

ie. [email protected] would give yo ua 10"x10" print without IQ loss.

Have I understood the principle of the thing?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
I always thought that dividing the dimensions of the photograph by the dpi, would give you the size of the picture at the end, without IQ loss.

ie. [email protected] would give you a 30"x30" print? (3000/100=30).

If someone asks for a specific dpi, then you can know the biggest print you can have without loosing IQ as well.

ie. [email protected] would give yo ua 10"x10" print without IQ loss.

Have I understood the principle of the thing?
Whew....this is why I just upload full-sized image files to Smugmug and let them do what they have to do in order to make the size print I want!

When it comes to this subject, for me, ignorance is bliss. I know just enough to get myself in trouble so I just let someone else handle it. I was working at learning how to use the object selection tool in Photoshop last night and was so wound up after two hours I needed a drink.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote