Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Default Printing REALLY Big

How big have you guys ever printed an image before? Today I received from Smugmug the biggest print I have ever had made, at 30x40 inches, on Kodak Endura Metallic Paper, which I chose because they do not offer prints that size on lustre paper.

This is the image I had printed. I shot it at the last game I attended with the E5 at ISO 1600, and the print is incredible. I hate to even think what this thing is going to cost to be framed. I'm trying to figure out how I might be able to contact the Stars to see if Loui Eriksson could sign it for me before I try and frame it.

As far as uprezzing for this size print, I did exactly what Smugmug suggests, which is.....nothing. I simply uploaded the full-size file to Smugmug's website and ordered the print. They do all the extra work necessary to make a print this size.

It's so big it's actually a little unweildy to hold. I had to lay it out on the floor to take a look at it. The metallic paper has this different kind of sheen to it that really works well. The two ladies sitting behind the glass even look good.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:32 PM   #2

Very impressive, Greg
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:03 PM   #3

ok, so gotta ask....what happened AFTER the shot you took? I mean with the puck....edited to ask how much was the 30x40?
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
ok, so gotta ask....what happened AFTER the shot you took? I mean with the puck....edited to ask how much was the 30x40?
The goalie blocked the shot and Eriksson wound up getting mugged by the three guys around him...

The print cost a total of $70.85, which included two-day FedEX delivery back to me. It took them one day to print it. The print itself was $55.90. I ordered it Tuesday evening and received it this morning.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:44 PM   #5

.....my biggest print is exactly 1/2 the size of yours.

I made this for my grandson last year at 16x20, done on a lustre finish it turned out nice. I did not print it from SmugMug, I used COSTCO at, I think, $15 and bought a frame at Hobby Lobby for about the same.

I am pretty cheap but I know you've done some others, what is the size of the Eiffel Tower you did.

Oh yeah, I really like the photo you used for the print, hopefully Louis will sign it.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:18 PM   #6

That Eiffel Tower print is 18x24, and custom frame job wound up being close to $300 using Hobby Lobby. Did the nice museum-quality glass, with matting and a nice frame.

You cannot hide on the internet. yesterday someone with the Stars called me. They can see how many single-game tickets I've bought online and the guy sold me a seat to a few more games for the rest of the year. A little better seat for basically the same money I have been paying to sit in the upper deck. He sent me his contact information. Maybe I'll use him to see what it might take to get the autograph.

I did give Hobby Lobby a call and they gave me a ball-park estimate of around $400 to frame this, assuming museum glass, regular type matting and a middle-of-the-road, cost-wise, frame.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:33 PM   #7

Hi Greg,

I bet that photograph must look absolutely wonderful in that size.

The largest photograph that I've ever printed, I printed myself on my Epson 2200 printer. It was a panorama of a late evening beach scene that printed out at 13" x 37". I've actually printed out a few because of few friends I know, wanted a framed copy as well.

As for framing; whenever I need a frame, I go down to my local Home Good Store and pick up a framed print in the size that I need. I take the print out and put my photograph in, Viola! a custom framed photograph- usually for 25 to 50 bucks.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

I bet that photograph must look absolutely wonderful in that size.

The largest photograph that I've ever printed, I printed myself on my Epson 2200 printer. It was a panorama of a late evening beach scene that printed out at 13" x 37". I've actually printed out a few because of few friends I know, wanted a framed copy as well.

As for framing; whenever I need a frame, I go down to my local Home Good Store and pick up a framed print in the size that I need. I take the print out and put my photograph in, Viola! a custom framed photograph- usually for 25 to 50 bucks.

Zig
Ditto. When I lived in Georgia, there was a craft store not far from us that sold everything needed for do it yourself framing, including the glass, mats backing, etc. I did a couple and saved some money that way.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I hate to even think what this thing is going to cost to be framed.
Greg:

STOP! Go to
http://www.americanframe.com/

You will NOT get a better frame package. I've been using them for years.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:40 PM   #10

That is a beauty of a capture Greg, well worth the cost of print & frame.
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote