Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:46 PM   #1

Default Birds...some new 50-200 SWD + EC20 shots

Now I know why you guys put food out and then wait for these guys to fly in....

Doing this in the wild aint easy. The smaller ones zip in and out, barely giving you enough time to even get them framed, much less shoot.

Anyone have a name for these? I shot them at the audubon center in south Dallas this morning with the E5..

This one was stretching it. The distance was a little extreme..

Then I tried some that were airborne, and I now see why Laura Pipkins's shots with the 50-200+EC20 combination are pretty much all shot at shutter speeds well over 1/1000 second. I had a lot of great compositions, but the images were blurred due to movement because I "only" had the shutter up to 1/800 second. I still had some nice keepers, but the percentage would have been WAY higher, especially the ones where I was able to get much closer, had I just used a faster shutter speed.

This one's a little weird looking, and is no "photoshop" job. I was tracking this guy and he just flew down through this group..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:00 PM   #2

Hi Greg,

The first 2-3 images, I'm pretty sure, are of a Yellow Rumped Warbler in winter colors .

And, yes, it can be quite a challenge to photograph small birds, even up close at a feeding station. But, after a while, you can figure out the flight paths and habits of various birds that visit. Photographing these little critters in the wild is extremely difficult. Even the pros use feeding stations and camouflaged tents to increase their chances of getting a good shot of a songbird.

By the way, these are another fine set of birds in flight.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:10 PM   #3

Nice images for your first time with the little guys, Greg. I use any trick I can to get them close and to stay a while.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:32 PM   #4

Really beautiful images. I'm guessing, but I think the first three are yellow-rumped warblers, the next two ruby crowned kinglets, the next two song sparrows, the gull I don't know and the last ones are of a great egret.

When I see pics like the ones you and Zig and others post it makes me work on improving my photos and I have a long way to go.

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:32 PM   #5

Excellent job Greg.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:58 PM   #6

Default One of the near misses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Then I tried some that were airborne, and I now see why Laura Pipkins's shots with the 50-200+EC20 combination are pretty much all shot at shutter speeds well over 1/1000 second. I had a lot of great compositions, but the images were blurred due to movement because I "only" had the shutter up to 1/800 second. I still had some nice keepers, but the percentage would have been WAY higher, especially the ones where I was able to get much closer, had I just used a faster shutter speed.
Here was one of those "Oh, so close" misses. I added some extra sharpening in ACR to try and get the best possible result, but to think what this could have looked like had it been as sharp as some of the better shots I had that day....

I added the vingetting on purpose in ACR.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote