Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs View Post
Zig ,
pretty outstanding detail you got there... Now theres another gadget for my wishlist..remote flash,
BTW I don't really understand how it works? What do you actually need to use a remote away from the camera?
Thanks
al
Hi Alex,

The wireless 4 channel trigger and receiver for flash kit is simply a small trigger device mounted to the flash shoe found on the top of your E-520. You can then mount an external flash onto the receiver mechanism and place it in a remote location but close to the subject.

It is used with flashes like the FL36 or the FL50 that don't have the capability of communicating wirelessly, with the camera. The whole trigger/receiver kit cost me about $20.00USD.

With this kit, I can mount a flash outside, close to the feeder. I can then trigger the flash by pressing the shutter. The triggering device mounted on the shoeflash sends a signal to the receiver and, in turn, the receiver fires off the flash.
The purpose of using the flash is as a fill flash where strong backlighting cause the subject to come out dark and often with lots of noise.

I'm not a pioneer, breaking new ground, this has been used for many years as a method of solving backlighting issues. I'm just trying to "shed some light" on the birds coming to the feeder as a method to improving Image Quality.

Zig

I have yet had the time necessary to fully try this kit out. But, the initial results are promising.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:28 PM   #12

THanks for the full instructions zig. the results do indeed look promising. The birds on my feeder don't have bright backlight , theres usually just poor light full stop. This may help ... and the $20 kit sounds cheap enough to play with if I can get a cheap enough flash to go with it...
thanks
al
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:45 PM   #13

Can the FL-36R be mounted on the hotshoe? It's not exclusively wireless right?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'm just trying to "shed some light" on the birds coming to the feeder as a method to improving Image Quality
Groan...!!!

Ineresting thread Ziggy and interesting first capture. Looking forward to seeing some more results in your experimenting.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Can the FL-36R be mounted on the hotshoe? It's not exclusively wireless right?
Dan, that's right - it (and the FL50R) can be used on the hot shoe. But unless you use a diffuser on it, that direct lighting is usually pretty harsh. Typical portraits (of people or animals) using flash, have one on each side at a 45 angle to give better lighting. (Yes I know that's a huge simplification...)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Dan, that's right - it (and the FL50R) can be used on the hot shoe. But unless you use a diffuser on it, that direct lighting is usually pretty harsh. Typical portraits (of people or animals) using flash, have one on each side at a 45 angle to give better lighting. (Yes I know that's a huge simplification...)

Ted
Does one need more gear other than the flash to get it working wirelessly? Or does getting the flash provide all the gear required?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Does one need more gear other than the flash to get it working wirelessly? Or does getting the flash provide all the gear required?
Hi Dan,

The only other item you'll need is a tripod or small stand to be able to mount the Flash onto.

Be advised that the FL50R is NOT fully compatible with all Olympus E-XXX series cameras. By that I mean, you may not get all of the TTL functionality.

Here is a link to Olympus' site explaining the features of the Fl-50R. You may want to download the manual and investigate what is possible with your camera.
https://us.buyolympus.com/fl-50r-flash.html

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:33 AM   #18

Quote:
The question is a good one and I should have an FL36R or FL 50R, but, I don't. Fact is the trigger/receiver kit was about 25.00USD and I already had the FL36.
I can understand this, but having already have a wireless trigger and FL-36 flash (and Vivitar 285HV's), I wanted to take advantage of multi-flash wireless TTL, so I got both an FL-50R and FL-36R.

Quote:
Be advised that the FL50R is NOT fully compatible with all Olympus E-XXX series cameras. By that I mean, you may not get all of the TTL functionality.
Only on older "E" cameras that don't have the wireless capability, i.e. E-500, 300, E-330, E-400, E-510, E-410, and E-1. Otherwise a direct TTL connection will work with these cameras.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:48 AM   #19

It's possible the "R" wireless system could present an issue with the birds, as there are two pops prior to the actual exposure. Pop #1 from the onboard camera flash to trigger the FL36/50R to fire, then the TTL preflash from the FL36/50R, then the actual exposure flash.

They all happen very, very close together, but there's enough of a delay using the flash directly on the camera that some of my subjects, human and animal, blink prior to the flash and wind up with eyes closed and I have to resort to non-TTL auto to avoid the delay. Using the combination wirelessly, even in non-TTL auto, means there'll always be the triggering flash...possibly enough to scare off some subjects.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:18 PM   #20

Hey Zig A cracking shot .. and the detail in the pic is nothing short of superb .. well done mate! Edge - said it just perfectly ... Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote