Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:20 PM   #1

Default Why I continue with Olympus

There are times when all of us, at one time or another, get a bit discouraged with the so-called shortcomings of the equipment that we have. But, most of the time it's a user's lack of knowledge or just not bothering to think through
the problem that causes this unhappiness. And, I'm as guilty as anyone, when it comes to getting into a rut and blaming, so called shortcomings on the E-30.

As the regular forum members know, I like to photograph songbirds and sometimes I even manage to get a good shot or two. The specific problems I've had all relate to backlighting.

Now, I know that when you provide a lens with the proper light, it usually will reward you with a nice photo (I know I'm simplifying, here). I've made various attempts at improving the light given the lens, through higher ISO's, slower shutter speeds, opening the aperture etc.

But, then I hadn't addressed the real problem until today. I got a hold of a wireless flash trigger assembly and mounted a FL-36 to a remote base station with a transmitter mounted to the E-30.

I only had a very short time to play with this set up, before the missus dragged me away to a movie.

I just got home and have had a chance to look at a couple of the first shots taken. This is one I took using the 50-200m ED lens.

ISO 640, f/8.0, 1/250sec. focal length at 200mm.

This is an example of why I really like the 50-200mm lens and why, when I allow the E-30 to work inside it capabilities, the combo really delivers wonderfully sharp JPEGS.

I've got to work the bugs out, but, as you can see, the E-30 and the 50-200mm certainly have the capability to deliver resolution and detail that IMHO is outstanding.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:27 PM   #2

Wow: That shot reminds me of an old cereal commercial slogan. It snaps, crackles, and pops!!!! Way to go zig. You also remind us that so many times the limitation of a camera is actually us.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Which wireless setup are you using Zig, and are you using non-TTL auto, or did you manually calculate the flash exposure?

Your setup certainly does deliver. I would imagine as you use it more and more, you'll tweek the thing to perfection.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:48 AM   #4

welcome to the "strobist world" Zig!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Which wireless setup are you using Zig, and are you using non-TTL auto, or did you manually calculate the flash exposure?

Your setup certainly does deliver. I would imagine as you use it more and more, you'll tweek the thing to perfection.
Hi Greg,

I purchased an inexpensive Cowboy Studio NPT-04 4 channel wireless trigger and receiver kit. And, I'll be the first to tell you that I really don't know what I'm doing yet. But, yes I set it to "auto" and, in the brief time I played with it I increased the aperture to improve DOF, then was adjusting the shutter speed up.

The instructions that come with the unit are very limited. I'm going to have to read up on the proper use of one of these gizmos. But, initial results put a smile on my face when I saw the detail that can be achieved.

Hi Steven,

Thanks.

Hi Edge,

This Strobist thing is exciting to me. Should have got one of these a long time ago.
Now, it's a matter of educating myself.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:20 AM   #6

......well, the photo you've included is indeed very detail strong. I will be reading this thread anxious to learn something, I will not have anything to contribute.

I know nothing about what you are doing. I did just stare for a while at the photo saying to myself, "he's gone & done it again, notched the bar a little higher"

Birds, flowers, snakes and landscapes, I actually thrill at seeing what will be the next most interesting discussion here.

This is going to be a good one for sure.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
But, then I hadn't addressed the real problem until today. I got a hold of a wireless flash trigger assembly and mounted a FL-36 to a remote base station with a transmitter mounted to the E-30.
I don't understand why you didn't just get an FL-36R and use the wireless command mode of the E-30 to do wireless TTL instead of just using manual or automatic flash mode, or use the slave mode of the FL-36R (using your internal flash to remotely trigger the flash) instead of getting a radio control...unless you think the bird would react to the preflash and fly off.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
I don't understand why you didn't just get an FL-36R and use the wireless command mode of the E-30 to do wireless TTL instead of just using manual or automatic flash mode, or use the slave mode of the FL-36R (using your internal flash to remotely trigger the flash) instead of getting a radio control...unless you think the bird would react to the preflash and fly off.
Hi Mike,

The question is a good one and I should have an FL36R or FL 50R, but, I don't. Fact is the trigger/receiver kit was about 25.00USD and I already had the FL36.

I'm going to try this out. But, using a Flash with remote capabilities is the long term solution.

Zig

Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
......well, the photo you've included is indeed very detail strong. I will be reading this thread anxious to learn something, I will not have anything to contribute.

I know nothing about what you are doing. I did just stare for a while at the photo saying to myself, "he's gone & done it again, notched the bar a little higher"

Birds, flowers, snakes and landscapes, I actually thrill at seeing what will be the next most interesting discussion here.

This is going to be a good one for sure.
____
boBB
Yeah well if you're going to be depressed about this, I'm right there with you.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:31 PM   #10

Zig ,
pretty outstanding detail you got there... Now theres another gadget for my wishlist..remote flash,
BTW I don't really understand how it works? What do you actually need to use a remote away from the camera?
Thanks
al

Last edited by alexs; Jan 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM.
alexs is offline   Reply With Quote