Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:34 PM   #1

Default My first use of the Oly 70-300mm lens.

Well I finally acquired the Olympus 70-300mm. My thanks to Jacob T for selling it to me at a very, very good price. (He claims that it is a used lens, but it looked new to me. There was not a scratch, smudge, or even a speck of lint anywhere on the lens that I could find.)

Anyway, yesterday, Saturday was the first chance to take the lens out for a test run. Overall I am very, very pleased with my first day shooting with the lens.

Observations: Shooting aperture preferred, usually f8, on a sunny day, the lens focused fast, and the results were a high percentage of keepers. (A sample of the shots will follow.) Overall I'm very pleased, and the shots appear better than the Sigma 200mm that I had been using.

The downsides are the size and weight of carrying it around all day; definitely heaver than the kit lens or the 200mm Sigma. The other downside is the way the focus changes when the subject is in shadow instead of sunshine. Sometimes it keeps hunting for focus, but I found that if I flip the manual focus switch, and then back, it seems to acquire faster.

Overall seems like a worthy lens, producing good results, with good build quality, and a bargain for the price. Sample shots are following.

Last edited by Steven R; Jan 30, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:47 PM   #2

All are straight card dumps, no PP.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:59 PM   #3

Hi Steven,

Good to know you like it. Those are some amazing shots you have here.

Glad to know the lens is in good hand and will be put in good use from now on
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:49 PM   #4

Great shots Steven. Wonderful light on your flamingo, actually good light on all your shots. Love them.

Looks like you've found a useful lens for yourself.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:20 PM   #5

Hi Steven,

Your images are great examples of why the 70-300mm ZD is such a popular lens. From a price to performance perspective, it is without a doubt a steal IMHO.

I can't wait to come down to your neck of the woods and have a go at getting some decent Flamingo images. Your's are outstanding.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:55 AM   #6

I've also recently got a used 70-300mm...but I haven't had the time to use it yet (or my E-3 I got in the fall). Spend most of my free time to help run a camera club, but that leaves me little time for taking pictures!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
The other downside is the way the focus changes when the subject is in shadow instead of sunshine. Sometimes it keeps hunting for focus, but I found that if I flip the manual focus switch, and then back, it seems to acquire faster.
That is one of my biggest pet peeves with this lens... I hate it when it does that.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
I've also recently got a used 70-300mm...but I haven't had the time to use it yet (or my E-3 I got in the fall). Spend most of my free time to help run a camera club, but that leaves me little time for taking pictures!
Well Mike, it's time you shared some pics from the E-3 and 70-300. Now that you've told us that you've acquired them, we will be waiting for your shots. You must have been busy, as I don't recall you posting many photos in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
That is one of my biggest pet peeves with this lens... I hate it when it does that.
Yes, it does want to hunt on subjects that are not well lit. I do have a location advantage. Outdoors in the Florida sunshine it focuses quickly, but when you are aiming in dark shadows, it hunts too much. I've learned to be ready to flick the switch to manual focusing when it starts hunting too much. I've also noticed that for some subjects, it will focus pretty quick at 70mm, but hunts at 300mm. So then I will focus at 70, then zoom to 300.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:12 AM   #9

Congrats, Steve! That is one lens I won't part with. The hunting is a bit frustrating at times but given the IQ and the price, it's a niggle I'll tolerate.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:55 AM   #10

It sure is a fun lens, enjoy!
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote