Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:40 AM   #1

Default (Finally) Starting to Apprciate Viewer 2 More

I have had more problems with this program, from highlight controls to the dang system crashing on me everytime I tried processing a few dozen files in one batch. I finally realized I didn't have the most recent update, of which one patch was to fix the crashing of the system when processing multiple files at one time. Sure enough, no more crashing after the update.....duh.

Then came the experimenting with E5 RAW files and I'm really starting to like this system now. I have tweeked my in-camera parameters after playing with a few files in this program, setting the noise filter to Standard full-time and sharpening to +1. In the RAW converter they even have a sharpen compensation. I found myself changing the sharpening setting from -0- to 1 as I was processing a large set of files, then added +2 sharpening compensation and really like the results.

Still shooting RAW, but doing batch work in Viewer 2 (now) reminds me of when I used Studio 2 more. With most parameters pre-set in-camera you can fly through a lot of files in a pretty short time frame, even making small tweeks to miscellaneous files along the way. I even found a way, using the curves window in the RAW converter, to bring slightly blown highlights back inside the right-hand border of the histogram. It's worked so far because the amounts have been very small because I have been very careful in my metering (so far) and the E5's metering system is pretty darn good.

I'm getting over the lack of a SHQ JPEG saving option in Viewer 2 as well. I've been comparing HQ to SHG JPEG's and have come to the conclusion HQ is almost indistinguishable from SHQ.

I've loaded quite afew full-size re-processed files into a "Viewer 2" folder of E5 files if you're interested in how they are looking..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...74087971_uruGC

A few miscellaneous images..

This one would have had gobs of blown values had I not spot metered with +.7 EV compensation on the highlighted portion of the top leaf here..

In all of the backlit subjects like this next one, I spot metered off the backlit leaf with anywhere from +.3 to +.7 EV compensation added, and I changed AF points to where I was not having to focus and re-compose on off-centered subjects.

When I ran this through Adobe Camera RAW I could not get the type detail in the bird hiding in the shadows that the file run through Viewer was able to do simply retaining the normal gradation setting.

I had a hard time with this one too in ACR. Viewer worked great using the tweeks I noted above..

Squirrel, shot with the 70-300..

My two-year old nephew. Better my brother than me at 47... (I'm 49, he's 47, and he is NUTS.)...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 1, 2011 at 3:46 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:58 AM   #2

Greg, thanks for the info on Viewer 2. I've never tried it because I never heard good feedback about it. I'll try it now - good to know that the CD that came with the E5 still needs an update.

BTW, it's my turn to extend sympathy about the weather to you and Bob B. We just have a little freezing rain here (just enough to cause accidents) but you guys are getting pounded. Hope you don't lose power. At least the Packers and Steelers will feel right at home.

We're supposed to get 1/4" of ice accumulation here tomorrow morning and since we have the statistically most unreliable electric utility in the country I'm not optimistic about being warm tomorrow.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:27 AM   #3

I'm actually already at the office. Left before the rain turned to ice.....don't ask what time that was. I live in an apartment and plan to keep my car 3 floors underground during this outbreak in the office parking lot, which will probably be for two or three days. I don't think it's supposed to get above freezing until some time Friday, and then just barely. I'll be doing a combined bus-train-bus ride home today and both ways tomorrow....and maybe Thursday. If I'm going to be in an accident, all I want to be is a passenger.

The roads look to be completely glazed over. I'm just waiting to start hearing all the sirens from the streets. Not too far west of here, the combined snow/freezing rain/sleet is going to be much worse.

Before I updated it, Viewer never worked well on my system. The first few times I worked batches, about 25-30 files in the program would just shut down. When it works right, you can process an unlimited number of files, doing multiple different things to each file if need be, and you can then add them all to one massive batch and set it off processing. I always thought Olympus' method of batch processing (and I think Nikon's NEF software works the same way) was much better than Adobe's because it let you make individual changes by file and you did not have to apply the same settings to everything across the board. Pretty much made batch processing in ACR impossible for me.

Last night I ran 54 of these through in one massive batch without a hitch and several others of 15-20 files.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 1, 2011 at 7:30 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:22 AM   #4

Looks like the program is working out well for you. It's interesting to read how much time you guys put into PP your finished product. I know that I should also, but I just don't ever seem to have the time. But your finished photos certainly seems worth the work.

Good luck with the weather Greg. Stay safe and warm.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:39 AM   #5

The best part of Viewer is, it cuts way down on post-processing. There's obviously more stuff to do if you are doing HDR-type work or processing files multiple times and combining them using layers and layer masks, but those cases are few and far between with me.

With Viewer 2, you open a folder of RAW files in the RAW converter. A mini list of images runs along the bottom of the screen, all with a check box. The image selected shows up in the workspace. If you like what you see from the parameters dialed in the camera at the time you took the image, simply check the box and go to the next image. If you want to tweek the sharpening or do a little cropping, you do that and then check that box. After making all the changes you want, you simply start the program and go off and do something else while Viewer processes all the files where the boxes were checked.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:42 AM   #6

Hey Greg: refresh my memory. Is Viewer 2 a freebie, or one that we have to purchase from Oly??
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey Greg: refresh my memory. Is Viewer 2 a freebie, or one that we have to purchase from Oly??
Its free and is on a CD included with Oly DSLRs but you can download it here:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...re_viewer2.asp

I have been unimpressed with Oly's software capabilities (like their abysmal Firmware update process) but I will try this one when I have time.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:38 AM   #8

I
Quote:
'm actually already at the office. Left before the rain turned to ice.....don't ask what time that was. AND....Not too far west of here, the combined snow/freezing rain/sleet is going to be much worse.
Greg, I used to do that BUT now that I only WORK from home I actually was already READY when the icing took over, don't ask what time that was because I don't know, I was sleeping quite well...... as for WEST of of there, well just know it wasn't fun at 0500 in Sundance Square this am for the ESPN 'outdoor' radio shows, though they did do it and there were a few people there, I saw a picture of it in the Star-Tele online paper.

Your processing schema seems simple enough and the results look good.

Thanks for all the quality information you contribute on all facets of the hobby with Olympus' gear & software, it is much appreciated.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Its free and is on a CD included with Oly DSLRs but you can download it here:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...re_viewer2.asp

I have been unimpressed with Oly's software capabilities (like their abysmal Firmware update process) but I will try this one when I have time.

Ted
it ask's that you put in a 9 digit camera serial number......

you can go here and get Nikon's view nz2 software for free
http://nikonimglib.com/nvnx/

Bob

Last edited by rebs; Feb 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
it ask's that you put in a 9 digit camera serial number......

you can go here and get Nikon's view nz2 software for free
http://nikonimglib.com/nvnx/

Bob
But....we can't use that free Nikon software that you do not have to input a serieal number to get to process our Olympus RAW files, so the link does most of us here no good.

I have a totally free copy of Silkypix SE too, but you can only process RAW files from Panasonic cameras with it.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM.