Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Default Songbirds in the snow

Well, it continues to snow altogether all too often around here these days. About the only good thing that comes out of it is that I get ample opportunities to take photo of songbirds at the feeder.
Here are 4 photos taken this morning. The first 2 are taken with a Sigma 150mm f2.8 prime the 2nd pair are taken with the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 ED lens.

I decided to get the Sigma (it's used) 150mm because it is slightly faster than the 50-200mm. The other reason is by adding the EC-20, I end up with a 300mm 5.6 lens. Which isn't entirely all bad as I've read the review of this lens on SLR Gear prior to getting it. SLRGear gave it a really fine review.

I have the Oly 70-300mm lens. and, while I like it for it's IQ at 300mm, it hunts like crazy at times- as we all know. This Sigma has a focus limiter on it that allows you to choose which distance the lens should be focusing. So far, I like this lens a lot just because of that feature alone.

Anyways, the photos were run thru ACR6.3. I adjusted the sharpness the same for each lens, did not do any noise reduction for any, nor cropping- these are full size as they came out of the camera.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2

Really excellent shots Zig. Love the expression of the bird in #3. I can see that you are still being visited by old man winter. (Maybe you should start your journey to Florida early this year. )

All those shots looks equally sharp to me. Looks like you have a winner with your new lens. (? What price range is that Sigma 150 selling for in the current marketplace?)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Really excellent shots Zig. Love the expression of the bird in #3. I can see that you are still being visited by old man winter. (Maybe you should start your journey to Florida early this year. )

All those shots looks equally sharp to me. Looks like you have a winner with your new lens. (? What price range is that Sigma 150 selling for in the current marketplace?)
Hi Steven,

Yes, I enjoy the expression of some of the birds that land on that branch only to see me sitting there in my chair about 3 ft way from them. This time of year, very few of them fly off as the urge to eat is stronger than their fear of me.

I thought that this lens would be a good choice for shooting the songbirds from my office window as the 50-200mm is normally set at a focal length of around 150mm. But, being just a tad slower, I have to adjust the ISO up in the morning when most of the activity takes place. The Sigma is just a little b it brighter-enough to make a difference. Especially since the birds just won't accept the flash.

I got the Sigma used at KEH.com for 599.00. But I have to say, I'm hard pressed to see any use given to this lens. It is in immaculate condition.
As far as I know, it is still being made in a fourthirds mount as B&H has it available for 729.00 new.

As for Florida, our current plan is to leave on the 26th of this month and that day can't come soon enough for me.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote