Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:38 PM   #1

Default An Orchid Show in January

Recently, i joined a local camera club in part to keep busy in the Winter but also to meet a few people that share my enthusiasm for photography. The club board of directors tries hard to keep the members involved and interested.

The Club was able to make arrangements with the organizers of this years' Orchid Show held last weekend in Hyannis to allow members to come in the day prior to the show's start and take photographs as they wished.

The caveats were that each photographer would submit a minimum of 2 high resolution images of Orchids at the show. And that, at no time were we able to move, touch or handle the Orchids in any way.

On Thursday, I went to the show with my lovely assistant (my wife) who would hold up a backdrop behind the subject Orchid wherever possible. I thought the best choice for a backdrop was a black piece of fabric around 2ft square that she could just slip behind the subject and hold it until I took the photo. She did me one better and got out a black shawl. It was perfect. she could wear it into the show and we would keep a low profile.

Here are a few images that I've cleaned up. All were taken with the E-30, FL-36 flash, the Sigma 150mm f2.8 or the 12-60mm SWD lens. I brought along a tripod, but ended up not using it because it always just seemed to get in the way.

zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:03 PM   #2

Excellent job Zig. They are all good. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I'm kinda leaning to #5 or #1
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:06 PM   #3

These are brilliant zig - so sharp and clear ... and amazing colour reproduction. The treatment of #2 makes it the stand-out for me.

Really good series.

Cheers

Bernice
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:34 PM   #4

Each is spectacular! My personal favorites are number 2-it's soft and dreamy effect is wonderful; and number 5 which just leaps off the monitor.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:48 AM   #5

Thank you all for the kind comments.

I'm not sure which if these I'm going to forward just yet. I'm leaning towards sending the Show organizers the 1st and the last images.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:10 AM   #6

Zig,

I attempted to reply late last night but for some reason the iPAD keybd wasn't cooperating and it was SNOWING here at the time so I just sat there and snoozed.

So, I like all these shots for the color, framing & especially the finishing. I suggest you consider 2, 3, 4 & 5 as 'card candidates'.

Oh, important to note.... your assistant 'M' did a really great job too, it is obvious. Glad y'all had a good time.

Never mind the snow comment, just complaining some, we now have 3" on top of what was left over from the ice storm, fun stuff NOT!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:39 AM   #7

Hi Bob,

Glad to hear all is well despite the insane weather you're experiencing. Hope it
improves for all the SB fans arriving for the game

Zig

Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:42 AM   #8

Here's another shot that I finished working on the morning:
lens used 12-60mm SWD:

Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:35 AM   #9

I love your processing technique here, Zig!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I love your processing technique here, Zig!
Hi Greg,

Thanx. Actually, I have you to thank as I hadn't known that ACR has vignetting capabilities. It wasn't until your post a few days ago when you mentioned using it.. Made these go through pp a lot easer.

Zig