Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:31 PM   #11

Here's my review. Its the only one that matters to this user.

Its a great camera. I WANT to pick it up and shoot with it. I gave up on the Pen because I didn't like to shoot with it. A great camera make you want to shoot. That varies by user.

Its the best camera that mounts to Zuikos, bar none. There is plenty of room to argue which is more important, glass or body, but great glass is half the battle IMHO. I got some good stuff, but the 12-60 & 50-200 combo with the E-5 is without peer for quality, weather resistance, close focus ability, and flexability in FOV terms. A camera review is only half the story. What about glass? You cannot forget about the glass!!!

The negative side....

For me high ISO is not critical. If its of primary importance to you, buy the largest sensor you can afford. Its always been that way, and will likely remain that way throughout my lifespan. All that said, I don't hesitate to shoot ISO2000 and beyond. Its way better than most crop sensor cameras from a generation ago. Much better than the prior Olys too.

I can tell you the focus tracking ability is well below the current Nikon pro bodies. I've not used a Canon body newer than the 1D2 (in the pro series) and the 30D (crop series), but I can tell you that the E-5 will likely fall well short here also. If its in motion, the D3s locks and holds the target much better. You have to work harder with the Oly offerings, BUT the E-5 is a stepp up from the preceeding cameras.

The positive side.....

The files... They are easy to work with. The tones are accurate, the colors are great, the consistance is a big plus. If you don't want to tweak much, set to JPEG and forget about it. The white balance will not let you down and the JPEG engine rocks.

A compact system. Think I'm kidding??? No! Take the E-5/12-60/50-200 setup and try to duplicate that kit. Pitch in a 7-14 and try to find a waterproof setup at that price/performance/weight. Take my E-5/300 f2.8/EC-20 and its 2 degree FOV. Kit weight is a big benifit.

I like the camera. I haven't read the DPR take on the camera, and I might not ever get around to it. Too much of a food fight going on there.

That sums it up.
DPR.... The food fight of camera reviews

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:13 PM   #12

LOL!

I've been looking at the DPR E5 review threads, mostly out of curiosity. My personal viewpoint is that Oly glass, as well as the PL glass, is superb. And generally a stop faster than the Canikon glass, which most folks fail to remember. I've been using Oly DSLRs since the E20, and have been very happy with what they've delivered. The DPR review is inconsequential relative to the E5 experience you guys have posted here.

But we do have a problem if the common marketplace perception of the Oly 4/3 cameras is that they are irrelevant and no one wants to buy one, and the DPR review may reinforce that perception. That worries me because i really don't want an EVIL camera, now and forever.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:19 PM   #13

I was a wee bit surprised with the review - I had thought they would pan the E-5 quiet badly but they didn;t do that, although there review of the AF system is very different to what Greg and Co have shown.

Personally, I think the lowish score is due to the E5's high price,high ISO performance compared to the D300/7D and I'm sure that the fact that the E5's been aimed solely at existing users. The positive was how good and detailed the files are at low ISO and for DPR to actually state that as well. What I would have liked and we've yet to really see is these reviewers is the use of the SHG glass esp for the high ISO testing.

If the price of the E5 was in the $1200-1300 range or if the E5 had a newer sensor I'm sure that it would have got 85% or higher.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:50 PM   #14

I think DPReview's blanket statement that the E5's AF system is the same as the E3 is completely off-base and just goes to show how little extra work went into the article. Multiple users who post in the Olympus forum at DPReview switched from shooting E3's to the E30 and noted improvements in the AF system, the most notable I have read being Doug Brown, a frequent poster who uses his DSLR's for a living in the Toronto area.

I have not tried using the all 11 points activated option yet with my E5, either in single or continuous AF. I've used single point single AF the most, moving the points around quite a bit in trying to avoid the focus-recompose method when shooting closeups.

I have used the diamond pattern point selection method (which DPReview appears to have not tried at all in either single or continuous AF) shooting both hockey and birds and noted a significant improvement in accuracy with none of the hesitating, jerky operation I did see when using the E30 and diamond pattern point selection in continuous AF. After trying it, I completely abandoned any attempts at continuous AF with the E30. Using the E5 in continuous AF with the diamond pattern option of 5 AF points enabled is night and day compared to the E30. I can only imagine how much better it is than the E3.

I cannot really see any time I would ever consider using all 11 points enabled at the same time with the E5. The chances of the camera locking onto a part of the subject I do not want to be focusing on would seem to me to be way too high. Just one example, shooting a subject like a pack of horses on the track coming at me, I do not want the camera selecting a horse in the back of the pack or even something in the backgound, so I will be using a diamond pattern of multipls AF points, but it will be bunched towards the right-hand side of the finder so the concentration is placed on the front of the pack.

What the reviewers at DPR don't seem to get is, while Olympus DSLR's do offer multi-point continuous AF, they do not have dynamic tracking option like the Canon 1D's and Nikon D3's of the world, so you CAN use multi-point AF, but there's no way it will ever work like dynamic tracking. You have to control what part of the finder you want the focus to be concentrated in. The only time I could see the full 11 point AF system of the E5 working with all points enabled in continuous AF would be something like a bird in flight against a sky with nothing else the camera might pick up and focus on.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I think DPReview's blanket statement that the E5's AF system is the same as the E3 is completely off-base and just goes to show how little extra work went into the article. Multiple users who post in the Olympus forum at DPReview switched from shooting E3's to the E30 and noted improvements in the AF system, the most notable I have read being Doug Brown, a frequent poster who uses his DSLR's for a living in the Toronto area.

I have used the diamond pattern point selection method (which DPReview appears to have not tried at all in either single or continuous AF) shooting both hockey and birds and noted a significant improvement in accuracy with none of the hesitating, jerky operation I did see when using the E30 and diamond pattern point selection in continuous AF. After trying it, I completely abandoned any attempts at continuous AF with the E30. Using the E5 in continuous AF with the diamond pattern option of 5 AF points enabled is night and day compared to the E30. I can only imagine how much better it is than the E3.

What the reviewers at DPR don't seem to get is, while Olympus DSLR's do offer multi-point continuous AF, they do not have dynamic tracking option like the Canon 1D's and Nikon D3's of the world, so you CAN use multi-point AF, but there's no way it will ever work like dynamic tracking. You have to control what part of the finder you want the focus to be concentrated in. The only time I could see the full 11 point AF system of the E5 working with all points enabled in continuous AF would be something like a bird in flight against a sky with nothing else the camera might pick up and focus on.

I'm glad you pointed out the differences in the E-5 vs the E-30 in the continuous AF when using the 4point diamond pattern. Your experience mimics mine very closely with respect to the E-30. While I use the center diamond (4point) pattern, I use it in S-AF. It is better than any other model E-XXX series camera I've owned. But, it is not great.

As far as C-AF forget it as it just doesn't work at all. If someone out there is having success shooting birds in flight with an E-30 set to C-AF, I'd sure like to know how they're doing it.

Zig

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote