Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:43 PM   #1

Default DPReview reviews the E-5

Just released today over at DPReview today, the E-5 review

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11...use5review.asp

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:57 AM   #2

ho-hum, I don't understand why people put so much weight into dpreviews
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:04 AM   #3

Especially one that was obviously rushed (typos on most pages) and reaches some odd conclusions. The latest issue (Feb. 2011) of Popular Photography contains their reviews of the D7000 and 60D, and their noise measurements indicate that both are almost identical to their measurements of the E5 that they did back in December (and they're been doing quantitative measurements of photo gear for decdes longer than DPR). Pop Photo did note the Cons that DPR did but oddly, DPR said "we've grown to really like using the E-5 over time, and of the current crop of DSLRs, the E-5 is one of our favorites to actually go out and take pictures with" and then gave it a 75%. Huh?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:09 AM   #4

This was Pop Photo's conclusion:

Bottom Line:
Comparing cameras in this price range is tough. People interested in a body at this level may already be invested in a particular system. If you already own an entry-level or midlevel Olympus body and are looking to step up, the E-5 offers a very solidly built, well-thought-out design that can provide a high level of image quality.

Olympus E-3 owners face a harder decision, but given the E-5ís increase in resolution, added stop of sensitivity, new HD video capture, and Art Filters, we think thereís a compelling enough argument to switch, especially if your E-3 has seen heavy use.

Against equivalent Canon and Nikon bodies, itís a different game. Both the 7D and D300s have certain performance and image-quality advantages over the E-5, but the Olympus has features these two lackóa major example is its sensor-shift image stabilization, which works with any mountable lens and which gave our testers 3 stops of shutter speed leeway when shooting at 200mm.

The E-5ís rugged construction and weathersealing are also a notch better than those of its competitors. And, finally, unlike the 7D and the D300s, the Olympus has an articulated LCD. Even though the Canon offers 1080p video recording, recording video with the E-5 is less tricky to do.

For DSLRs in this price bracket, if youíre looking for a powerful imaging tool with rugged construction and a lot of versatility, the Olympus E-5 may be your match."

I've found that Pop Photo tends to consider issues affecting practical imaging at the top of the list.

Ted
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:33 AM   #5

Ted,

I agree to a point. But Pop Photo also tends to put a very positive spin on any piece of gear they are currently reviewing. So every piece of gear tends to sound competitive against something reviewed previously. They tend to accentuate the positive and push any negative under the rug. I haven't found their reviews to be very useful for that reason. This in no way is meant to take away from the E-5 - which by every account is a great imaging tool. Just that in my experience Pop Photo isn't much more than an advertiser for gear - whatever gear they happen to be reviewing at the time.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:47 AM   #6

John,

That may be true of their reviews of camera bodies, which I haven't paid that much attention to. I've paid more attention to their lens reviews, in which I haven't seen what you describe. Their actual SQF numbers are very consistent with my experience for the lenses I own.

Ted
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:48 AM   #7

This is all I have to say about DPReview..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37641020
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:21 AM   #8

Greg - I think all reviews and reviewers need to be taken with a grain of salt. It's interesting - regardless of whether it's Sony, Canon, Nikon, Oly, Pentax - whatever: whenever a positive review about a camera is made that review/reviewer is lauded by the people owning that brand. Whenever a review is made that doesn't claim the camera is the greatest imaging tool every made, people bash the review/reviewer. So credibility often is decided by how positive a person interprets the review.

I think camera reviews are very beneficial for entry level cameras because lots of people are going to do things in auto mode. I've never put much stock in a review of pro-sumer or pro cameras simply because, as you say, real life is more complicated and the true target market of those cameras are going to push and tweak. So for the pro-sumer cameras like the Canon 60D,7d, Nikon D7000,D300s,Pentax k-5,Oly e-5,Sony 580/55 and all the pro bodies above - it's much more useful to get reports from the field from competent photogs (i.e. not the guy that just went to the camera shop and snapped a dozen photos and is ready to offer their 'professional' opinion).

Having said all of the above - even for those models it can be useful to read multiple reviews and look for commonality.

I still think the majority of people that wait with baited breath for reviews of higher level DSLRs from DPR are either looking for snippets they can use as bragging rights in "my brand is better than your brand" posts or as "proof" DPR is biased (and I've seen that claim in Pentax, Oly, Canon, Nikon and Sony forums over there - DPR it seems is biased against every brand).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:09 PM   #9

the dpreview review told us nothing we haven't already learned, a bunch of recycled catch phrases and reconstituted opinion.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:13 PM   #10

?Who reads DPReview any more, and why?? You can definitely live without it.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote