Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:18 PM   #1

Default Pancake 25mm

Hi,

I got the EX-25 extension tube ... but was not happy with the results. So I am returning it.

Since I'm going for a long (in fact not that long) ... but far away trip (Iceland/Europe + Baltic Cruise) in July, I'm thinking about getting the 25mm pancake which I will use with my E-520 (I will not bring the E30 with me and it might look weird on it). I will probably add the 40-150 Mark I will it so it should give me a decent kit.

Do you think it will be a good lens for that kind of usage?
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Hi,

I got the EX-25 extension tube ... but was not happy with the results. So I am returning it.

Since I'm going for a long (in fact not that long) ... but far away trip (Iceland/Europe + Baltic Cruise) in July, I'm thinking about getting the 25mm pancake which I will use with my E-520 (I will not bring the E30 with me and it might look weird on it). I will probably add the 40-150 Mark I will it so it should give me a decent kit.

It's hard to give advice without knowing what your considerations are. You seem to be saying you want compact and light weight above all else. If so, the pancake will do well - it's a good lens.

But what other glass do you have? Personally if I were going to Iceland/Europe + Baltic Cruise I'd be wanting my best gear (within reasonable size/weight considerations) which would include an E30 over a E520.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
It's hard to give advice without knowing what your considerations are. You seem to be saying you want compact and light weight above all else. If so, the pancake will do well - it's a good lens.

But what other glass do you have? Personally if I were going to Iceland/Europe + Baltic Cruise I'd be wanting my best gear (within reasonable size/weight considerations) which would include an E30 over a E520.
Ted's got it right on the money. Difficult to give any type of advice without knowing what you would like to accomplish, what you're going to see, etc. while there.

If it were me, I would be bringing along my E-30. The 40-150mm is fine. But, I would definitely want to bring along a wide angle lens. The 9-18mm lens would really be useful for panoramas, interior photos of old buildings, churches street scenes.

If I could only bring 1 camera and 2 lenses, that's what I'd pack. But, that's me, you may want to photograph totally different stuff.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:39 PM   #4

The idea behind bringing the E-520 ... is basically that I'd like to avoid getting the E-30 stolen since it really look like a way more expensive DSLR. Also, the E-520 is smaller and people might be less afraid when I take pictures when them on it ... which bring the pancake in the mix.

I already have the 12-60mm ... but it is kind of huge and heavy when travelling to about 7 countries ... and some places are, lets say, not too happy when big lenses on big DSLF (like Russia).

If I really want to play safe, I'll bring only the 14-42 and the 40-150 along the 520 which give me plenty of coverage. In fact, it might be a better idea than the pancake and the 40-150 ...

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:02 PM   #5

Quote:
What did you expect from it, what lens did you use it with? Doing macro photography takes more patience...you need something with more telephoto to use this accessory like a 40-150mm. It doesn't work with some lenses, especially with a focal length of 25mm or less.

Quote:
What usage? For any kind of travelling it's best to have a range from wide to telephoto, like the 14-42mm and 40-150mm (mk1 or mk2) combined. Some people get something like the 18-180mm. For travelling I much prefer having a zoom since I can't always get closer to something with my feet.

When asking this type of question it helps to mention what lens(es) you have now.

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the 25mm pancake which I will use with my E-520 (I will not bring the E30 with me and it might look weird on it).
You can see what a particular lens will look like on your camera at the following link...just choose the body and the lens, and then you can see (F)ront, (B)ack, (T)op, (L)eft, and (R)ight views:
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html

In your example select E-30 from "1A" and the 25mm from "2A".
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:44 PM   #6

Quote:
The idea behind bringing the E-520 ... is basically that I'd like to avoid getting the E-30 stolen since it really look like a way more expensive DSLR. Also, the E-520 is smaller and people might be less afraid when I take pictures when them on it ... which bring the pancake in the mix.

I already have the 12-60mm ... but it is kind of huge and heavy when travelling to about 7 countries ... and some places are, lets say, not too happy when big lenses on big DSLF (like Russia).

If I really want to play safe, I'll bring only the 14-42 and the 40-150 along the 520 which give me plenty of coverage. In fact, it might be a better idea than the pancake and the 40-150 ...
Well if you're really planning to do "street shooting" the pancake on the 520 would be your best option. And take the 14-42 and the 40-150 along for more versatile photography.

I don't travel a lot - my disposable income goes elsewhere. Is theft of cameras while traveling a huge problem?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I don't travel a lot - my disposable income goes elsewhere. Is theft of cameras while traveling a huge problem?
+1... I too would like to know about this. At some point, my wife will convince me to go for a trip in warm weather and our only camera is an E-620. I wouldn't want to bring anything else and was wondering about tips and tricks when traveling.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:19 PM   #8

Everything is based about where you are going. I am not scare the bring everything I have if I go hiking in the Rockies or my home town or even places I know.

However, some countries are less safe than others... (i.e. Egypt right now, Middle-East countries, Asia, etc...). I friend of mine got is Canon SX-200 (Still an expensive P&P) stolen ... when the camera was one him. They just cut the strap and he never noticed ... until too late.

So, unless I had a very sturdy camera bag ... I feel better safe than sorry (until I know the place I go).

BTW, I am really aiming for the 25mm pancake ... light, small ... and still f2.8 ! And as advised above, I will probably bring the 14-42 & the 40-150.

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
I wouldn't want to bring anything else and was wondering about tips and tricks when traveling.
Quote:
So, unless I had a very sturdy camera bag ... I feel better safe than sorry (until I know the place I go).
Personally I wouldn't walk around with a "camera bag"...I wouldn't even travel with one. While they are well padded, they scream "expensive camera inside"...especially if you get a brand-name bag like a Crumpler or Lowepro.

When I travel I use an ordinary, beat up looking backpack...I have the SLR semi-hard case for my camera (i.e. CS-3SH, CS-5SH), and lens pouches for my lenses (i.e. LSC-0918), and if needed some ordinary foam between them.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Personally I wouldn't walk around with a "camera bag"...I wouldn't even travel with one. While they are well padded, they scream "expensive camera inside"...especially if you get a brand-name bag like a Crumpler or Lowepro.

When I travel I use an ordinary, beat up looking backpack...I have the SLR semi-hard case for my camera (i.e. CS-3SH, CS-5SH), and lens pouches for my lenses (i.e. LSC-0918), and if needed some ordinary foam between them.
As per camera bag, I own a huge Lowepro (350) which is perfect for carrying everything but anybody knows what is inside. To go to work, I use a sling bag that I won at a company function. This bag is not a camera bag ... so I put some bubble wrap in it.

This bag will be son replaced with http://www.macworld.com/product/7261...ipad_slot.html

As far I can tell, it does'nt look like a camera bag, can carry more more than photo gears and I can put my iPad with it!

This one is doing the trip this summer!