Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:54 AM   #1

Default [pics] Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo portrait

While I was photographing a pair of Grey Fantails going about their business, the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo pair I was photographing earlier had taken off. As I was driving down to another part of the lake, I again heard that unmistakable call of the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, so I couldn’t resist pulling over & taking some more photo’s – who knows when I might see these beautiful birds again!

This time around the pair were in a much more accessible area. They were also surrounded by trees, which gave me the opportunity to sneak up closer to them. I couldn’t believe how close I managed to get; every few steps I would stop & take a couple of shots (just in case they noticed me & took off), then I’d hide behind another tree & make my way a little closer.

As the pair were quite high up in the tree, I got as close as I could that would still enable me to take some images without them being from too steep an angle. The pair were amongst some heavy foliage, before the female moved onto a branch that was almost in the clear. I couldn’t believe my luck as I fired off as many shots as I could before I was finally spotted & the cockies took flight again.

This image is my favourite of the series, a portrait of the beautiful female. I wasn’t entirely sure how to present this image, either horizontal or vertical crop.. What are your thoughts on the composition?

August 20th, 2010
Lillydale Lake, Lilydale, Victoria, Australia
Olympus E620
Zuiko 50-200mm SWD lens
EC14 Teleconverter

http://pixelatedempire.com/2011/01/y...ck-cockatoo-5/

The final image of the series. I was pleased to get this full frontal view of the male as it shows the brilliant yellow colourings throughout the plumage & illustrates why these cockies were named as such. The patterns through the male’s tail feathers are wonderful. All in all definitely one of my best birding experiences for 2010,a truly memorable experience.

http://pixelatedempire.com/2011/01/y...ck-cockatoo-6/

Cheers
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:59 PM   #2

Definitely nothing I would ever see up here to shoot! Great images. I like what you did here, closing in for a closeup body shot so we can clearly see the detail, then giving a full-length image.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote