Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:12 PM   #1
oel

Default E 30 discontinued ?????

I was told by B&H photo that Olympus had discontinued the E 30.

I was seriously thinking of getting one, did they have problems/ not sell????

If discontinued how long would part/support be available???

As you can tell I am a bit confused, any help/opinions/advice would be appreciated ....Thanks
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oel View Post
I was told by B&H photo that Olympus had discontinued the E 30.

I was seriously thinking of getting one, did they have problems/ not sell????

If discontinued how long would part/support be available???

As you can tell I am a bit confused, any help/opinions/advice would be appreciated ....Thanks
With the release of the E-5, it is not surprising that the E-30 has or will be discontinued much like the E-3.

It wasn't that they had problems with the E-30 as much as capturing market share. Olympus' sales of fourthirds digital cameras including the E-30, is meager when compared to the sales of digital cameras by both Canon and Nikon.

Seeing an opportunity, Olympus has made an all out effort to capture a large segment of the mirrorless camera market and has put all their engineering resources towards releasing more micro fourthirds cameras and lenses. In this arena, they have great products and should be quite successful.

As for continuing support for discontinued cameras. I know that Olympus still provides service for their earlier digital slr cameras such as the E-500 and E-510 (discontinued quite sometime ago). As an owner of an E-30, I see no reason for them not to continue to support that camera for some time to come.

If you really are interested in getting an E-30, a suggestion would be to call Olympus service and see what their official position is.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:38 PM   #3

Every Olympus DSLR model except the E5 has been discontinued. Olympus has just decided, for now at least, that they are only staying in the DSLR system at the highest level they offer and are only selling Pens for any level below the E5.

The E30 and E620 have not been made now for a while. Whatever new stock that is out there now and being sold cannot be replaced by new stock, so once what's out there now is gone, it's done.

As far as servicing goes, you can still have ANY DSLR Olympus has made serviced. You can send an E1 in to them and they'll fix/replace any part on it. In all liklihood they will service E30's well beyond the time you'd want to be shooting one.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:41 PM   #4
oel

Zig and Greg, thanks for the informative replys.

I really enjoy viewing both of your fine pictures.
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oel View Post
Zig and Greg, thanks for the informative replys.

I really enjoy viewing both of your fine pictures.

It's kind of you to say so.

I hope what's been said hasn't frightened you off from getting the E-30. There are still many fine pre-owned E-30s available at very attractive pricing.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:20 PM   #6

But on the good side you can get some great bargains on refurbished cameras, and if it's Olympus refurbished you can get an extended warranty that goes a couple of years beyond the refurbished 90 day warranty (if you buy and register the extended warranty before the 90 day warranty is finished.

B&H has a refurbished E-30 right now for $679, but there's no clue if it was refurbished by Olympus (store refurbished cameras don't qualify for the Olympus extended warranty, it HAS to be refurbished by Olympus to qualify for the extended warranty).

There's also some great bargains on E-3's right now (a few months ago I bought a used one for under $500).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:38 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Mikefellh;1200860]But on the good side you can get some great bargains on refurbished cameras, and if it's Olympus refurbished you can get an extended warranty that goes a couple of years beyond the refurbished 90 day warranty (if you buy and register the extended warranty before the 90 day warranty is finished.

B&H has a refurbished E-30 right now for $679, but there's no clue if it was refurbished by Olympus (store refurbished cameras don't qualify for the Olympus extended warranty, it HAS to be refurbished by Olympus to qualify for the extended warranty).
QUOTE]

Good Advice, Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
There's also some great bargains on E-3's right now (a few months ago I bought a used one for under $500).
Which is why I haven't sold mine. Like an old Honda in good shape, it's worth more as a backup than the money you'd get by selling it.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:19 PM   #8

I still love my 510. The menu knob went whacko on me a few months ago and I sent it in and they fixed it and cleaned the whole thing up for 125 bucks, like a new camera. I'm guessing their service department will be repairing all of them for quite a while. I think I'll hang onto it until I can afford an E5, I'm real impressed with what I've seen from it so far.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote