Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:02 AM   #1

Default Matte vs Glossy

I asked in the printer forum about paper because I was looking at purchasing large panoramic photo paper and Zig was nice enough to give me an answer.
Before I choose between matte and glossy I thought I would get some opinions here from the oly folks. I have always bought glossy because it pops with sharpness and color but as I researched pros and cons I find many who print large, do not. Is it the glare that keeps them away or is there a more professional look to matte. Just looking for thoughts, I guess we all have different opinions on the subject
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:37 AM   #2

Hi Eric,

From my perspective, textured matte stock gives a more professional looking result to many of the photographs I sell here on the Cape. There are times, though, when I print on Glossy and satin finish photo papers. Usually, it is when I'm printing smaller sizes; 8x10 or 11 x14 of flowers or birds. When I print 13 x 38 panos, then it's almost always a textured matte paper- called River Linen.

A lot of this is personal, as you mentioned. That's why it's a good idea to get a sample package of the different types of papers a supplier offers. In the case of Red River Paper located in Texas, they have a sample kit made up of 21 sheets of their best selling stock. They offer it for 7.99 + shipping. That's how I started out.
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/samples/photo.htm

By the way, I've no affiliation with Red River Paper other than being a very happy and satisfied user of their products.They are easy to deal with, pricing is good and the quality is excellent.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:40 AM   #3

My paper of choice is Lustre. Pro labs often call it E surface, or satin. The brilliance of glossy, with a raised, pebble-type surface and does not finger-print. You can just wave your hands over a glossy print and leave finger marks. Plain matte is too flat looking to me.

I know when I was doing a lot of printing at home there were some nice-looking lustre papers out there. I bought mine from Red River Paper (their name of choice is satin). Their offices are here in Dallas, so it was easy for me to just drive over there during the week at lunch and buy all I needed, but they do sell online. You should take a look.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:31 PM   #4

Thanks guys. It looks like you both are looking at the same paper and place to buy. It appears the Red river matte is paper of choice. I think I'll buy some 13x38 and see what happens. Thanks for your help guys.
If either of you get a chance to post a larger photo you've printed using their stock I would love to see how it came out.
As long as I'm begging for help here, do you guys make your own frames or buy them special made.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:59 PM   #5

When it comes to home printing, I have never ventured beyond letter size (8.5x11 inches). Anything bigger and I'm submitting those orders through my site's host company, Smugmug. Their Lustre paper closely resembles the satin paper from Red River Paper. The Smugmug prints are traditional lab prints so they do have a different "look" to them vs. anything I'd print from an inkject printer.

The only thing close to 13x38 I have done was a recent image from a hockey game where I did order a 30x40 print just so I could see what an E5 file shot at ISO 2000 looked like (and it looks pretty darn good!) when printed that big. By the time you get to 30x40, Smugmug does not have a lustre paper option so I elected to go with the metallic paper, which is a pretty impressive paper.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:58 PM   #6

I have a HP B8550 I bought new off ebay around a year ago. I did a lot of research on printers and most of the photo printers that do 13x19 have anywhere from 6 to 10 cartridges. I had narrowed it down and was going to get a Canon Pro 9000 but while checking it out at Staples I came across the HP. It has 5 cartridges, less to deal with and more reasonable pricewise. I went home and checked reviews which were all decent, and at half the price from competitors, around 170 on ebay, I said what the heck. It was a good choice, I've had absolutely no issues with it at all and the prints are as good as the photographer that takes them.
Thanks to you and Zig, I have a place to order paper now to try it out on the panoramic shots. I will try different types until I find something I really like. I want to start printing shots like this around 30 or 35 inches wide.
Attached Images

Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:00 PM   #7

Hi Eric,

This is one image that I've printed on 13 x 38 Red River Linen stock. It is impossible to show you how it looks on the actual paper used.

As for frames, I buy them from 2 sources.

the first is Home Goods a brick and mortar store. they are located all over the country so, I'm sure there is one near you. What I typically do is buy a framed print at Home Goods, take the photo out and insert my own photo in. The prices are incredibly low for what you get. And, I've been able to get frames, complete with glass, matt etc. that are perfect for a 13 x 38 print for less than 50bucks there.

The other source is AmericanFrame.com an online frames supplier. Very good quality and good pricing.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:06 PM   #8

Beautiful shot Zig, thanks for showing it, it gives me an idea what the shot will look like on the paper you use. I know it's impossible to compare in person vs computer but that's pretty impressive. Do you print these with your Epson ?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Zig

I love New England, went to the Navy's Officer Candidate School at Newport. I haven't been back there in quite some time so I'd really appreciate it if you would stop showing images like these.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Beautiful shot Zig, thanks for showing it, it gives me an idea what the shot will look like on the paper you use. I know it's impossible to compare in person vs computer but that's pretty impressive. Do you print these with your Epson ?
Yes Eric,
All of my panos prints are done on an epson 2200. A long in the tooth but still very high quality printer utilizing pigmented inks. It is quite slow, compared to the Canon Pro9000MKII that I also use. But the Canon can't print as large as the Epson does and I'm very comfortable with the fact that the pigmented ink will stand up to being exposed to the sun and UV rays without fading.

Zig