Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1

Default 70-300mm + EC20

Here are the first images taken with this combination. I should've waited for a day with better light (bright) but never let it be said I possess patience. AND, I ventured into an area I normally steer clear of when shooting wildlife - Manual focus. I need a LOT of practice with that!

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2

When I first tried my 70-300 with the EC20 shortly after buying the converter, I decided the EC20 was one-stop too much for that lens. I've seen some REALLY nice shots posted over in the Olympus DSLR forum captured with the 70-300+EC14, but I could not get the 70-300+EC20 to focus very well, even in broad daylight, and that appears to be the same case here. the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 is probably the lowest-level zoom that works pretty well with the EC20.

I was over in the Olympus DSLR forum at DPReview this morning looking at some images posted by a guy using the 90-250mm f2.8 and EC20 that had me....insanely.... looking at how long it might take to save up/amass the funds for such a lens.

The kid is out of college now.....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:33 PM   #3

The sun poked out for a few minutes so I shot a few in much brighter light. These are SOOC

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I was over in the Olympus DSLR forum at DPReview this morning looking at some images posted by a guy using the 90-250mm f2.8 and EC20 that had me....insanely.... looking at how long it might take to save up/amass the funds for such a lens.

The kid is out of college now.....
That would really fit a lot of the stuff you like to do. I've been wondering when that bug was going to bite you.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:25 PM   #5

Yeah ...., but it would take a major shift in my system to make it happen. Sell a lot of stuff, still have to chip-in quite a bit of extra cash, and then find an appropriate bag that'd let you carry the 90-250 along with everything else! Actually, the bag might already be on the way as I ordered one of Moose Peterson's MP-7's...

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/?page_id=12539

An E5, 12-60 f2.8-4 and 90-250 f2.8 would be an awesome setup. It'd work great at the horse track and for birding. It would also work great at a baseball game, but I might also get tossed by security after plunking a fan or two sitting in front of me on the head, and I have no doubt that'd be a lens security at the American Airlines Center would NOT allow in for the hockey games!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:01 PM   #6

That was one thing I figured would be a roadblock - if you can only take it to the racetrack that would start to look like a huge expense for not so much return.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:18 PM   #7

It definitely would not be relegated to the horse track, where it'd be worth its' weight in gold for four months out of the year. Out birding anywhere, or at any less-than-professional athletic parks it'd be easy to get in. The higher level professional, or even college venues would be very restrictive no doubt.

I have a feeling it's going to be pleasantly suprising how well the E5/50-200/EC20 (70-300 too) does at the track.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:53 PM   #8

Quote:
It definitely would not be relegated to the horse track, where it'd be worth its' weight in gold for four months out of the year. Out birding anywhere, or at any less-than-professional athletic parks it'd be easy to get in. The higher level professional, or even college venues would be very restrictive no doubt.

I have a feeling it's going to be pleasantly suprising how well the E5/50-200/EC20 (70-300 too) does at the track.
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that you'll be taking images at the track with an E-5 90-250mm before this racing season is over.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that you'll be taking images at the track with an E-5 90-250mm before this racing season is over.
You never know. A huge portion of money that COULD HAVE gone towards this lens is going to my dentist today. At 49, I'm having BRACES installed. Actually, not the traditional braces, but the Invisalign trays that are easier to work with....but just as expensive!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
You never know. A huge portion of money that COULD HAVE gone towards this lens is going to my dentist today. At 49, I'm having BRACES installed. Actually, not the traditional braces, but the Invisalign trays that are easier to work with....but just as expensive!
You would have enjoyed the 90-250mm more.