Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:36 AM   #1

Default Here's something I didn't expect

A new P&S with a zoom lens and - are you ready for this - an optical viewfinder:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...owershot_a1200

They state:
"The camera's big, bright LCD screen gives you a wealth of important information about the shot. However, using it to compose and focus requires that you hold the camera away from your body. Many people do this with one hand, arms away from the body, effectively creating camera shake that can distort a shot. Using the Optical Viewfinder helps ensure that the camera is held steady."

Halla-friggin-luja.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:52 AM   #2

Canon seems to be the only one to have figured this out. Surely, other camera makers' engineers and R&D folks get enough input from the public to realize this.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Canon seems to be the only one to have figured this out. Surely, other camera makers' engineers and R&D folks get enough input from the public to realize this.
You would think so.

Sadly, I'm guessing the pix from that Canon, at $100, aren't going to be as good as my old 6MP Fuji Finepix E550, which is still functional. But it's too new for any reviews of the a1200 to be out, as far as I can tell. From the info on the Canon site you can't even tell if the OVF zooms with the lens, or if it just has frames.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:53 AM   #4

My girlfriend has, I believe it's the SD800is, the last Digital Elph that was sold with a built-in optical finder. She loves that optical finder, even though it's only taking in about 80% of what the sensor winds up recording.

Definitely a breed that's pretty much gone. Good to see someone, at some level, sees the advantage in them.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:17 AM   #5

....my wife uses an Elph SD200, the viewfinder on it zooms with the lens zoom, it works well especially outdoors bright light where the LCD is pretty much useless.

In natural light the images are very good, with the built in flash of course red-eye is prevalent and for those I make PP adjustment.

My C7070WZ is a much better camera but for the tiny size and quality of image the SD200 makes for a perfect shirt pocket or purse for her camera.

We have in the family a couple NIKON and a SONY PS, the CANON is by far the oldest and best of the lot. I expect the a1200 is a pretty good camera compared to the others in its class.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I expect the a1200 is a pretty good camera compared to the others in its class.
Hope so - I'd like to see that trend continue. I suspect the quality of the a1200 with it's OVF, will be like the story of the talking dog. (At $100) the remarkable thing is not how well it does it, but that it does it at all.

Ted
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7

And we are discussing this in an Olympus SLR forum because?

There's no way that SLRs (or a PEN) will have this arrangement. First off you have a wide range of lenses you can use, and the VF would have to accommodate all of them either by zooming as the focal length changes, or do what Leica does and have outlines (imagine having to accommodate for t a 500mm, or a fisheye). The Canon works because the lens isn't removable!

The other thing is you have parallax error due to the positioning of the VF compared to the main optic.

Actually a third thing is you can't see the effect of a polarizer, unless you look through the LCD as well.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
And we are discussing this in an Olympus SLR forum because?
Because many of us are very, very opposed to the elimination of OVFs in Oly DSLRs. Especially lacking any credible evidence that today's EVFs are able to track motion without smearing and interruption. So many of us are happy to know that there is a counter trend to what appears to be the main thrust of what Oly is doing.

Why is this such an issue for you?

Ted
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
You would think so.

Sadly, I'm guessing the pix from that Canon, at $100, aren't going to be as good as my old 6MP Fuji Finepix E550, which is still functional. But it's too new for any reviews of the a1200 to be out, as far as I can tell. From the info on the Canon site you can't even tell if the OVF zooms with the lens, or if it just has frames.
not to totally revive a dead thread, but what the heck, I got the A1200 camera and even though unfortunately it does not have PASM mode like the old Canon A-series, yes it has an OVF that (theoretically) zooms in and out with your zoom. HOWEVER, as with my old A70 it seems to be at best a wildly inaccurate inspirational guestimate, but I haven't done extensive tests on the matter....
joypog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:14 AM   #10

I can;t beleive that only Canon realises that !!!!!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote