Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:30 PM   #11

Thanks, Dan.

Yes, security can be a pain. The Stars are very good about letting fans bring in DSLR's and so are the Texas Rangers major league baseball team, but the Mavericks, who play in the same arena as the Stars, do not. I'm not even sure I could get in for a Mavericks game with my Pen, let alone a DSLR, and a DSLR is a no-no at Big 12 Conference college football games.

I'm going again tomorrow and sitting in Section 201, which is an endzone section and low enough I figure I'll be screwed as far as being clear of the safety net for any of the rink, so I'm considering taking my E-PL1 and micro 40-150 and just playing with video capture.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Thanks, Dan.

Yes, security can be a pain. The Stars are very good about letting fans bring in DSLR's and so are the Texas Rangers major league baseball team, but the Mavericks, who play in the same arena as the Stars, do not. I'm not even sure I could get in for a Mavericks game with my Pen, let alone a DSLR, and a DSLR is a no-no at Big 12 Conference college football games.

I'm going again tomorrow and sitting in Section 201, which is an endzone section and low enough I figure I'll be screwed as far as being clear of the safety net for any of the rink, so I'm considering taking my E-PL1 and micro 40-150 and just playing with video capture.
Greg, do you know anything about Big 12 basketball rules? I think I've managed to swing tickets to the Texas game in Austin on Monday and I've been debating taking my E-PL1.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:08 PM   #13

I've not been to any games at the Super Drum. I would just do what I did this past year when I took my Pen to some football games. I put the VF-2 in my pocket and mounted the 14-42 collapsed to make the outfit look as small as possible. If you plan on taking any longer micro lenses....in my case it would be the 40-150, hope for cool weather and put it in your coat pocket!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:01 PM   #14

Heh, I don't have a VF-2 or a 40-150, so I may try and hope for the best. I found this from the UT website, which is not really helpful:
Quote:
Prohibited items
  • Outside alcoholic beverages
  • Bags larger than 12 x 18 inches
  • Banners
  • Beverage containers
  • Cameras (with professional, detachable long-lenses)
  • Coolers
  • Equipment cases
  • Food
  • Flag poles
  • Strollers
  • Tripods
  • Video cameras
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:49 PM   #15

I think you'll be OK based on that list. I would not doubt security will define "professional, detachable long lenses" as virtually anything hanging off a DSLR.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:23 PM   #16

Default Very Nice Shots

I'm shooting Canadian university level hockey and having lots of fun with my E-5 and 50-200mm I sure would like the TV lights though....my noise levels aren't nearly as good as yours.

Anyway very nice. Even some OHL teams won't allow DSLRs!

-Z
Zamboniguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:36 PM   #17

Default A Few Shots

All taken at ISO 2000.

-Z
Attached Images

Zamboniguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboniguy View Post
Even some OHL teams won't allow DSLRs!
-Z
That does not suprise me too much. Hockey up there is what American football is down here and I cannot get my DSLR into Division I college football games. The other team that plays in the same building as the Stars, the Dallas Mavericks, does not allow DSLR's in either.

You've gotten some really nice closeups there. I would have to pay around $300 or so to get down that close for one Stars game.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:04 AM   #19

Default A lot of views of this thread

which, Greg, I think is because I posed a link to your hockey images over at DPR, when I got exasperated at yet another "Oly isn't as good as CaNikon" post. Those ISO3200 shots should (but won't) put an end to some ridiculous discussions. It was fun to see the # of Views take a huge jump. Your work deserves it.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:06 AM   #20

Thanks, Ted.

BTW, my trip to the game Saturday was about what I expected. I was behind the goal on one side of the rink in the same 200 sections, which was too low. Virtually 100% of the rink was behind the protective netting. I took my Pen E-PL1 with the micro 40-150 and the damned camera focussed 9 time out of 10 on the netting, not the action beyond the net. After about 5 minutes I just deleted everything I had shot and just enjoyed the game.

FWIW, I just received my latest "toy" for both my E5 and micro system....the 8mm f3.5 Zuiko fisheye. Holy heck, this is one tank of a lens. There are several "project shots" I have in mind for this right now. I toyed with the idea of buying either this or the possibility of re-purchasing the 7-14mm f4 and decided on the fisheye.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM.