Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Default Life in the 200 Sections (Hockey stuff)

Ah, life in the club level....the rows have more leg room, waiters come down and take your orders, the halls are carpeted, and the individual bathroom toilets have doors that stretch from floor to ceiling, just like George Costanza suggested to Steinbrenner.....

As a partial season ticket holder who missed an ice day game on Feb 1, the account rep with the Stars gave me this ticket, obviously in an attempt to get me to upgrade a few games. The view is lower so the angles are quite different from what I'm used to capturing.

E5, 50-200 SWD, captured RAW at either ISO 1600 or 3200, I got lazy and processed these in Viewer II using the batch process I have always liked using. It allows you to process many files at once, but individualize all files if you want to tweek a setting or two, which I did in many of these.

The puck heading towards the goal. It would, somehow, get by for the only goal of the game.

The camera did a great job as usual in focusing beyond the protective netting and on the players.

Emergency goalie...

Hot Potato..

Self Preservation..

Getting caught between a rock..

and a hard place..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2

Another great set of photos. From what I saw on TV the game itself wasn't much.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:53 AM   #3

Really nice, Greg. Noise is just not an issue in these. Was it a problem with the ISO3200 photos? I noticed you didn't post any of those.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 25, 2011 at 5:56 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Really nice, Greg. Noise is just not an issue in these. Was it a problem with the ISO3200 photos? I noticed you didn't post any of those.

Ted
A total fluke I didn't post one at the higher setting, I was just looking for 10-12 of the more interesting shots and was not checking as I was picking them out. The ISO 3200 files turned out fine.

Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Another great set of photos. From what I saw on TV the game itself wasn't much.

John
You're right. Pretty lethargic game from a scoring standpoint. Lots of restless fans, but when you're following the puck and shooting like I was, it keeps you distracted!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
A total fluke I didn't post one at the higher setting, I was just looking for 10-12 of the more interesting shots and was not checking as I was picking them out. The ISO 3200 files turned out fine.

Indeed they did. Remarkable, actually. Once again I'm reminded that I under-estimated technology when I used to think that we'd never get that kind of ISO3200 performance from a 4/3 sensor. Thanks for posting these.

Ted

PS: I forgot to mention that I particularly enjoyed the rock & hard place sequence. I also enjoy the expressions of the fans - in some cases all hell is breaking loose in front of them and they have the same non-expression as though they were reading a magazine.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
PS: I forgot to mention that I particularly enjoyed the rock & hard place sequence. I also enjoy the expressions of the fans - in some cases all hell is breaking loose in front of them and they have the same non-expression as though they were reading a magazine.
Yeah, at over $300+ per ticket per game to sit down there, I'd be all over the action that found its' way in front of me.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:12 AM   #8

In the last photo of your second group, there's a person (2nd row, far left) who looks like he (she?) is taking a $300 nap. First row far right there's a woman who's sending out a $300 text message. Amazing.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:21 AM   #9

Good shooting Greg.

Your E-5 images continue to impress.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:59 AM   #10

Second set, 3rd photo, there's a fan also taking pictures...

Man, in Canada, bringing your dSLR to an NHL game in impossible... let alone be in the 200 levels (or 100 levels like that lady) with an dSLR. A buddy of mine in Ottawa got shit for bringing his E-520 with the 40-150mm... he was in the 300's! LOL

Great set of pics!!