Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hah! What fun. Was that just colored liquid in the tank?

Many of you may not know that those original gas pumps pumped the gas into that clear tank at the top so the customer could confirm how much he/she was paying for (gas tanks in cars were much smaller then). Now, of course, we accept being hosed, ooops, I mean we accept the quantity without visual confirmation.

Ted

PS: and no, Steven, I do not personally remember these pumps. I can read your mind so don't start on me...
Yes, I agree that it was probably just colored liquid in the pump. Too many visitors around there to risk any fire hazard. (And no comments about your age, as I may be even older than you. LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Those a real antiques ...
Yes, folob; antique in both the equipment and the price. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
If Tampa wasn't so far away, I'd definitely beat a path there to fill up!

After this past winter Greg, you probably should think about moving here just to get away from the bad winters that have been hitting Dallas lately!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
lucky us, it was only about 15f with a bit of snow and wind ... !!
Um, your definition of lucky and mine, are very different!

ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:03 PM   #13

Got a few places around town that look like this place where the gas pumps have stayed and signs stay fresh looking oh yea I will go hit em up for sure...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
You guys have it so easy!!!! We are paying $9.61 with the current exchange rate, it's crazy!
Hey Mark

Yeah I was going to just say exactly that . $3. a gallon looks pretty cool to me. What gets me about how much we pay is that 80-90% is pure tax !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Mark

Yeah I was going to just say exactly that . $3. a gallon looks pretty cool to me. What gets me about how much we pay is that 80-90% is pure tax !
Hi, Harj

It's also true in the US that most of the price of gas is taxes. That concept is sold to us as a way to raise the money to maintain the roads, which would be fine if we saw evidence that this was indeed occuring to the same extend the taxes are being collected...

Ted
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Hi, Harj

It's also true in the US that most of the price of gas is taxes. That concept is sold to us as a way to raise the money to maintain the roads, which would be fine if we saw evidence that this was indeed occuring to the same extend the taxes are being collected...

Ted
So true. All the taxes go into Federal and state road maintenance funds. But when you look closely, the amount of tax revenue collected for the funds is more than the amount taken out to actually build and maintain the highway system. The actual dollars are mixed in with the general revenue stream and spent for other things. (kind of like Social Security income.)
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
So true. All the taxes go into Federal and state road maintenance funds. But when you look closely, the amount of tax revenue collected for the funds is more than the amount taken out to actually build and maintain the highway system. The actual dollars are mixed in with the general revenue stream and spent for other things. (kind of like Social Security income.)
I suppose that we should consider ourselves lucky though. The cost of a gallon of gas isn't likely to be very different in the US, Canada, or Europe. So if those folks are paying way way higher prices, they're getting hosed much worse than we are.

BTW, please post another Oly photo of a gas pump before someone complains we're way off topic here.

Ted
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:53 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Where are you? You're right that in the US the low gas prices are the reason I'm surrounded by big fat gas hog porkers that I can't see around to get an early warning of trouble ahead.

Ted
I'm in the UK and we've just been told that we are having it go up in price again soon
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:19 PM   #19

Of course, we don't get a lot of petrol from Lybia but you know damn well that that'll be their cry and excuse.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:33 PM   #20

Quote:
I suppose that we should consider ourselves lucky though. The cost of a gallon of gas isn't likely to be very different in the US, Canada, or Europe. So if those folks are paying way way higher prices, they're getting hosed much worse than we are.

BTW, please post another Oly photo of a gas pump before someone complains we're way off topic here.

Ted
Yes, gas is like other commodities that have price changes when there any threat to supplies. If the governments weren't so money hungry, they would simply adjust the taxes downward to offset some of the price increase. -- Yeah, don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen!

Anyway, here is another Oly photo of a gas pump to keep it on subject.