Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:39 AM   #11

In looking at the photos, both birds are very, very, similar, but it looks like Zig is right. The area between the eye and beak, and the markings on the chest seems to more resemble Zig's bird. But it is amazing how much the two different species resemble each other. A quick glance would lead one to think they are the same species. So maybe it's still up in the air.

Well, that was a fun exercise. I'm not a bird expert, and I just couldn't recall ever see one like that before. I'm going to be on the lookout to see if I see him again and get some more shots.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:41 PM   #12

Here's a bird from wiki American Bittern site.

I don't see anything that locates the Indian Pond Heron outside the Indian ocean/SE Asia area, but it certainly wouldn't be the first invasive species in Florada.

Size would be something to take into acount. The Indian Pond Heron is usually less that 18" long and the American Bittern is over 22".

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Mar 5, 2011 at 4:55 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:24 PM   #13

Well guys, I'm not a bird expert, so we may never know. But in studying the photos closely, the bitten seems to have a darker area in front on the eye, and the heron seems to have a lighter area in front of the eye, which matches the eye of the bird in my shots.

I guess we will never know for sure, but it seems that my bird may be the heron. Very interesting. You guys are sharp, the way you came up with those photos.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
but it certainly wouldn't be the first invasive species in Florida.
Greg, they're not invading, they're being imported (usually illegally) by the residents.

After hurricane Andrew went through with it's path of destruction the Miami Zoo got lots of calls to come get their animals (from other continents) that were loose and running around. Most of them were species the Miami Zoo never had.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote