Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Default Long exposures

I have an olympus e-520. It's got a bulb option and a timer. I was expecting that setting both up would keep the shutter open for the selected time. It doesn't! Opening the shutter keeps it open until I take my finger off the button. Instructions in the handbook (full version) are a bit thin. Can I program bulb and timer to function together or must I buy a remote? I am getting a numb trigger finger!
crystalvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:42 AM   #2

Hi:
Glad to try to answer your questions.

First, the paper instruction manual that you are using is a very abbreviated one. You need to go to the Olympus website and get the free download of the full E-520 manual in PDF format. It is 148 pages, and offers much more info than the basic manual.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/..._Manual_EN.pdf

See pages 45-46 and 95. When using manual shooting, you can set the exposure time as long as 60 sec without using bulb. When using bulb, by definition that is when the shutter is held open for as long as the shutter is depressed. However, the E-520 custom settings also allow you to program in a maximum time that the shutter will stay open, even when using bulb.

Anyway, that is a short answer to your question. The Olympus DSLR forum here is full of experienced users who will be glad to help. Don't hesitate to ask them.

Good luck with your shooting.
Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:59 AM   #3

That's the way bulb is supposed to work...no timer, the shutter is open as long as the shutter release button is held. For this type of shooting you NEED a remote as touching the camera in any way will induce shake.

Now there's two ways of locking the shutter open, with the RM-1 infrared remote (from memory pressing W to open the shutter, and pressing T to close the shutter)...the only thing is the camera sensor is sensitive to IR light, so it is possible to see the light from the IR remote while you are using it. The other way is a wired remote, and for the E-520 is the RM-UC1 that plugs into the proprietary USB connector.

As for the timer you're talking about, it specifies the MAXIMUM time the shutter can be held open by the "bulb" until it closes. Say you don't want any longer than four minutes for each bulb press, that's what this setting is for.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 5:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
That's the way bulb is supposed to work...no timer, the shutter is open as long as the shutter release button is held. For this type of shooting you NEED a remote as touching the camera in any way will induce shake.

Now there's two ways of locking the shutter open, with the RM-1 infrared remote (from memory pressing W to open the shutter, and pressing T to close the shutter)...the only thing is the camera sensor is sensitive to IR light, so it is possible to see the light from the IR remote while you are using it. The other way is a wired remote, and for the E-520 is the RM-UC1 that plugs into the proprietary USB connector.

As for the timer you're talking about, it specifies the MAXIMUM time the shutter can be held open by the "bulb" until it closes. Say you don't want any longer than four minutes for each bulb press, that's what this setting is for.
I have only one minor thing to add to your thorough response. It requires battery power to hold the mirror up and, I believe, to hold the shutter open (not positive about this latter point). So don't be surprised if your battery runs down more quickly than usual.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 5:57 AM   #5

Those battery drains are minor, compared to the battery drain from the circuitry from the continual reading from the sensor and processing that data! ;-)
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:41 AM   #6

Thanks a lot for all your comments. Looks like I need to buy some hardware!
crystalvision is offline   Reply With Quote