Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2011, 2:52 PM   #1

Default Osprey Photos from Xcambas

Had an opportunity to go to the boat launch area at the end of Marco Island. This is usually a pretty good area for birds. I pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car to see 2 Osprey flying overhead about 50 ft above me.

One of the Osprey was holding a fish in his talons while the other soared overhead. I was able to take about 10 shots with the E-30+ 50-2000mm ED + EC20 telecon before they flew off.

The Gods were smiling down on me this afternoon, because if I had gotten there about 1minute later, I never would have known they were ever there.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:54 PM   #2

See, that is why I only photograph cats (only one at that). It's because we really don't have birds here; they follow Zig.

Some do say, "....timing is everything", sometimes it is so. Glad you got to make these Zig, really nice.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:11 PM   #3

Nice shots Zig, and good timing, except for the fish that is.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:27 PM   #4

Shame on you Zig!! Weren't you just telling us that you never could get birds in flight to come out well? Excellent captures!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:09 AM   #5

Zig, those are excellent. And I forgot to mention that both me and Linda spent a lot of yesterday chuckling about your photo and commentary of the osprey nest with the swimsuit and fishing net.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Shame on you Zig!! Weren't you just telling us that you never could get birds in flight to come out well? Excellent captures!!
Hi All,

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Steven,

I'm sure that the E-30 is a lot better performer for someone who's hands don't shake like mine. Not looking for excuses or sympathy, but my Parkinson's is advancing and my right hand just shakes altogether too much to get really steady, crisp shots. That's why I try and use the tripod or the Velbon Monopod. I have both with me, but to this point, have not taken either out of the car. Which is stupid of me- but it's darn near impossible for me to point the camera at a bird in flight when there's a monopod hanging off the bottom of the camera.

So, take my complaints with a grain of salt - or - with a tall and frosty beverage of your choice

Hi Ted,

Glad you enjoyed the shots. My wife and I were laughing too when we spotted all the 'stuff' hanging off of this nest. Your imagination can run wild with possibilities.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:24 PM   #7

Zig, you did an impressive job with those shots. (Better than any of my Osprey BIF shots, I have such bad luck with that bird species.)

So even with personal circumstances working against you, you overcame it, and the results were impressive. You have reason to be proud of those shots.

If the weather cooperates, I think you will have a good Florida Vacation this year. The weather seems to be back to normal after the previous two frigid winters. So I'm looking forward to your photos over the next few weeks.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote