Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:41 PM   #1

Default I shot an Eagle- (No, I didn't play golf)

Sometimes things just work themselves out. My wife HAD to have a pedicure today. Since her arm is in a cast, driving herself anywhere is out of the question. So, I drove "Miss Daisy" to the nail salon and dropped her off. The procedure was going to take an hour so I didn't have much time to do anything meaningful. But, I was very close to the Xcambas boat launch area. I went there, sat down with the E-30, 50-200mm + EC14. I decided to try the EC-14 to compare performance against the EC-20 which I've become accustomed to the last few days.

Well, I think I should buy a lottery ticket because I was fortunate enough to have an Eagle fly overhead being chased away by an Osprey. I've never seen an Eagle before much less have a chance at photographing one.

Here is my shot:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:05 PM   #2

Fantastic Zig!! You should go out right and buy a Florida lottery ticket, I think that you are on a roll!!!!!!

(P.S. -- In one week you have surpassed my total BIF keeper shots that took me years to accumulate. Well done!)

Last edited by Steven R; Mar 7, 2011 at 2:07 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:50 PM   #3

Amazing!
No, not the photo although it is better than any have.
The fact that you've never seen a Bald Eagle. (Balde was the olde English Shakesperean word for white head) I've just had 2 fly by this morning and see them every day...and never got a shot.

You're hot, must be the change in climate.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:29 PM   #4

Really great photo, Zig. But you have to stop this, it's making me crazy. This is what greeted me this morning:

Yep, daffodils surrounded by snow.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Amazing!
No, not the photo although it is better than any have.
The fact that you've never seen a Bald Eagle. (Balde was the olde English Shakesperean word for white head) I've just had 2 fly by this morning and see them every day...and never got a shot.

You're hot, must be the change in climate.
I have never seen more bald eagles than I did when I went sailing in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. You live in an unusual area, Ken. Most of us are not that fortunate.

Ted
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Really great photo, Zig. But you have to stop this, it's making me crazy. This is what greeted me this morning:

Yep, daffodils surrounded by snow.

Ted
Hi Ted,

I totally understand......I'll back off ............ my enthusiasm peaked with today's photo of the Eagle.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:14 PM   #7

Great shot Zig, you are on a roll for sure. Did you capture the Osprey as well. I went to Pa last weekend in hopes of seeing some eagles on the Delaware and had no luck.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Great shot Zig, you are on a roll for sure. Did you capture the Osprey as well. I went to Pa last weekend in hopes of seeing some eagles on the Delaware and had no luck.
Hi Eric,

I did try and take some photos of the Osprey, but when I realized that it was attacking an eagle, I stopped and just concentrated on getting a decent shot of the eagle.

I'm sorry to hear that you had no luck in Delaware. My understanding is that they are relatively common in that state

Actually, I really am glad to see all these healthy birds having chicks. It says a lot about the health of the ecosystem.

Zig

Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Actually, I really am glad to see all these healthy birds having chicks. It says a lot about the health of the ecosystem.
Zig
Apparently bald eagles have made a huge comeback after the DDT/eggshell problem of the late 1990s. The northern Mississippi/Missouri river basin areas have regained huge eagle populations. Northern Greg probably can add his experience to this discussion.

Ted