Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:37 AM   #11

I love manually focusing when using the electronic finder VF-2 on the Pen E-PL1. It's easier than the best finder I ever used on a manual focus SLR, and there've been a lot of those that were really good.

That's the main reason I continue expanding my 4/3rd's outfit....so I have lenses fully compatible with both systems. The 4/3rd's lenses may not AF very fast on the Pens but they do autofocus faster than manual focus-only lenses, and I don't use the 4/3rd's optics on the Pen for anything moving fast anyway so manual focusing works great with that system and it beats the heck out of using manual focus lenses adapted via dummy tubes with no electronic communication so all exposure modes work and IS is automatically set vs. having to manually dial it in like you have to with lenses that do not communicate with the body.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I love manually focusing when using the electronic finder VF-2 on the Pen E-PL1. It's easier than the best finder I ever used on a manual focus SLR, and there've been a lot of those that were really good.

That's the main reason I continue expanding my 4/3rd's outfit....so I have lenses fully compatible with both systems. The 4/3rd's lenses may not AF very fast on the Pens but they do autofocus faster than manual focus-only lenses, and I don't use the 4/3rd's optics on the Pen for anything moving fast anyway so manual focusing works great with that system and it beats the heck out of using manual focus lenses adapted via dummy tubes with no electronic communication so all exposure modes work and IS is automatically set vs. having to manually dial it in like you have to with lenses that do not communicate with the body.
Hi, Greg

Sorry for the late reply. I found your response really interesting because you are one of the main folks here shooting fast motion so I would have expected you to be pretty skeptical about an EVF. The fact that you really like it on the Pen in situations other than fast motion says a lot for that EVF.

When it first came out I bought an Oly SP550UZ. It took good photos but I just couldn't get used to its EVF which was too much like a cheap toy game. I guess Oly has improved it a lot since then.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:28 AM   #13

Oh, YUK! Why did you have to mention the SP550UZ! That was an AWFUL camera. There's one stuck in a bag in the top of my closet that hasn't been opened for around 2 years.

The EVF was not very good, reds were sickly pale and the AF was awful. Other than that, it was OK"! For such an awful picture taker, the 550 "felt" as good as any camera in the hand, and the exposure controls are very much like the E-PL1.

Yep, the VF-2 finder is MUCH improved. Nothing I'd want to rely on for shooting anything that moved very fast, but for travel, like the trip I took to SF last June, or even somewhere like Paris where we went twice in 2006 and 2007, I wouldn't have a problem at all using the E-PL1 + VF-2 along with any of my 4/3rd's Zuikos other than the 50-200 SWD. That lens is way too bulky for the Pen.

I'm headed to the hockey game tonight to just watch for a change. I'm taking the E-PL1, Panny 20mm f1.7 and the 8mm fisheye to do some shooting after the game of the neon lights downtown.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Oh, YUK! Why did you have to mention the SP550UZ! That was an AWFUL camera.
LOL! For what it was, a very small camera with a pretty good zoom range, I didn't think the photos were too bad. But I only used it as a snapshot camera, never in place of the E500. I did give it to a good friend of mine. She has good DSLRs but had loaned her "snapshot" camera to someone who then broke it, so the 550 is fine for her.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote