Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
Q what camera do you have ?
E-620, 14-42mm, 70-300mm...

I'll call around today to see what sort of information I can find.

Last edited by TekiusFanatikus; Mar 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM. Reason: formatting
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Dan, pay close attention to Rriley's advice, and check out his photos.
Dan, I forgot to mention that you can see some of Rriley's photos in his gallery in his member info in the Oly DSLR forum at DPReview.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:32 AM   #13

is that a good thing or a bad thing
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
is that a good thing or a bad thing
The photos, or the sleazing with secretaries?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:17 PM   #15

Am I mad to try to get rid of PP out of my process during this exercise? To try to get the desired pictures OOC?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:07 PM   #16

Dan

I'd shoot RAW+jpeg ... if the OOC jpegs are spot on then thats cool and you'll save yourself a lot fo time but thats not always the case so you want the RAWs for just in case.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Am I mad to try to get rid of PP out of my process during this exercise? To try to get the desired pictures OOC?
For 8years , I was a real estate appraiser, here on the Cape, and as part of the appraisal, had to take interior and exterior shots of each of the subject properties I appraised. I've not jumped into this conversation, to this point, mainly because I was paid on the entire appraisal and not on the photography that was an essential part of the whole package.

However, your question about trying to avoid post processing is something I was familiar with in my own work.

If it were me doing the work,

1- I would as Harj suggested, shot in RAW+Jpeg because the RAW files are uncompressed, they will allow you more latitude (retreiving more information) when processing the images, should you get back to the office and find that an integral shot didn't quite come out as you first thought. (you really don't want to go back and reshoot)

2-Trying to properly compose and frame a shot using the proper settings to achieve the desired result OOC is just good practice and I would strongly recommend you do that. But, I find that even when I get everything 'right', I still crop the image to what I think is the best composition, then use the clarity slider in Adobe camera raw to bring out more detail in the shot, use the noise reduction sliders to 'clean up' whatever little noise there may be and finally, use the sharpening sliders to put the finishing touches on the image.

All of the above sounds like it takes a long time and is a lot of work in pp, but really is not. Once you find the slider settings that you think give you the best output, you can preset them so that the settings are automatically applied as soon as you open the file.

It's these final touches that you apply that make the end result a photograph rather than simply a snapshot.

Remember, you want to charge a fair price for your work. You work should reflect the value of the fee charged.

Just my 2cents
And, by the way, good luck in your new venture- I hope it is a success for you

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
I dont know about mad, in the business sense thats a legitimate objective. The point is after years of experience in this game, it just isnt possible.

I use Olympus and shoot jpeg, but I craft things in such a way as to have a reasonably consistent output from reasonably consistent material.

My post processing is more often than not less than two minutes, but that 2 minutes is strategically as vital a business objective as halving the price of my work to gain more opportunities by having no processing at all.

Last edited by Rriley; Mar 22, 2011 at 8:30 AM. Reason: additions corrections
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:54 PM   #19

I'll fire up ACR in order to get to know it better