Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Default 15 points on Composition

Here's a link to an essay that was recently posted on Luminous Landscapes having to do with the author's thoughts on important elements having to do with composition.

Food for thought...............

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...n_top_15.shtml

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:54 PM   #2
Super Moderator

interesting read.

i found #13 particularly apporpriate where the darkroom (i.e. the digital darkroom) is to be thought of as an extension of the composition.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:12 PM   #3

Great article. Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:19 PM   #4

Hi Dustin/Dan,

Glad you liked the essay. I enjoyed reading his viewpoints as so often these days, there is a lot of discussion about wether a photograph is still a photograph after you've altered it (post processed) to your liking. In so doing, are you a photographer or someone who simply has a command of a particular photo editing software package.

I agree with the author, that what I 'see' and want to convey in the end result, isn't necessarily the image that comes out of the camera.

Photography, to me, is an artform. No different than when Ansel Adams was taking photographs of the western landscape then manipulating the images to arrive at what he saw in his mind's eye.

Zig
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Super Moderator

agreed, unless you work for cnn or whatever, photography is an artform.

i am not an advocate of taking bad pictures and trying to salvage them in post. rather, enhancing them through the digital darkroom. which often times works best when you include the thought process of what digital manipulation techniques you may use when you are taking the photograph. or including that in your vision of your final output.

to add some more food for though. there is really no such thing as a non-manipulated image, it just comes down to whether your camera is manipulating it, or you are. even our human eyesight is not RAW, what we see is shaped by our own visual processing brain areas and influenced by our experiences/mood/etc.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:01 PM   #6

Good stuff. I need to read LL more. I've been kind of "blah" about the photo stuff I've been reading lately.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:48 PM   #7

Thanks Zig. I'm not big on a lot of PP...BUT.. sometimes the photo is not what my mind saw and have to tweek. So I liked this.

4 - What the camera captures is objective. What the artist sees and feels is subjective.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Thanks Zig. I'm not big on a lot of PP...BUT.. sometimes the photo is not what my mind saw and have to tweek. So I liked this.

4 - What the camera captures is objective. What the artist sees and feels is subjective.
I appreciate this as well. What I see when I take a photo, almost always is way, way more vivid colors, way more DR, and and way more contrast that what comes up on my monitor when I download the photos. I spend most of my time in photography, converting my OOC RAW photos to what my mind was really seeing.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:14 AM   #9

You have to take LL with a pound of salt. First their view of photography is very limited to nature photography. You just have to read "What Photography Isn't" http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es..._isn%27t.shtml to realize that!

But a bigger reason to dislike LL is they are anti-Olympus/FourThirds!

And I have met Michael Reichmann several times...he's been a speaker at our camera club but I had to hold my tongue only because I run the auditorium and have to work with all presenters...I respect my work in making things run smoothly more than picking a fight with the presenter.

But here all's fair with no holds barred!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I appreciate this as well. What I see when I take a photo, almost always is way, way more vivid colors, way more DR, and and way more contrast that what comes up on my monitor when I download the photos. I spend most of my time in photography, converting my OOC RAW photos to what my mind was really seeing.

Ted
Good point Ted. I used to have a similar dilemma, and you know I'm too lazy to spend a lot of time doing PP work. I do suggest that you give a try to adjusting the Oly settings. I changed my settings to Vivid, and the contrast/saturation to +1 or +2. And then it seems to provide the best rendition right out of the camera of the scene that I remember. Of course, maybe my monitors are off, but for me these settings work well.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote