Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Default A few from Tamworth

I took these on Saturday using the 17.5-45mm lens.

Tamworth Castle:

P3190824 by Thunderchild_01, on Flickr

Main Church Window:

P3190830 by Thunderchild_01, on Flickr

Door Handles

P3190842 by Thunderchild_01, on Flickr

I need to work on taking pictures a bit straighter I think!

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:09 PM   #2

Very nice, it looks like the castle was built in sections at different times. Different stone facing depending on where you look.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
I took these on Saturday using the 17.5-45mm lens.
Sam, I really like them. I don't use Flickr so I don't know if you can, but next time post larger ones if you can - they look better larger, don't underestimate them.

These are also interesting because most Oly people really dis the 17.5-45mm. You are showing that it's fine, when in the hands of a good photographer.

Quote:
I need to work on taking pictures a bit straighter I think!
A lot of us have that problem. Many folks claim that you can use the row of AF points to keep the horizontal straight. That doesn't particularly help me because keeping verticals straight is my biggest challenge. You could get a Katzeye focusing screen for your E420. They primarily make split image screens to help focus manual focus lenses, but they also can do screens with vertical & horizontal etched lines. It's not inexpensive but it would help you. (I have the Oly FS-3 screen with the etched lines in my E-5 and it helps a lot but I don't think Oly has one for the E-4XX cameras.)

But you need to know that the issue with the Tamworth Castle photo is a fairly complex distortion that results less from keeping the camera horizontal and more more from aiming a lens upward. That causes keystone distortion (like you see from a video projector aimed upward). Folks here will tell you that the way to fix that is in Photoshop but that's because they haven't used DxO Optics. I pulled your photo into DxO and in some 30 seconds with the distortion sliders, got this result. I recommend DxO.

Ted
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:54 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look at that software when I have a bit of cash.

Kodak Z950
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

These are also interesting because most Oly people really dis the 17.5-45mm. You are showing that it's fine, when in the hands of a good photographer.

Ted
Can I ask why? I (shamefully) have to admit that my lens choice goes on price. What is supposed to be wrong with the lens?

Kodak Z950
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Can I ask why? I (shamefully) have to admit that my lens choice goes on price. What is supposed to be wrong with the lens?
The image quality is said to be not as good as the kit lenses. But yours seems fine. John Foster tested it in a "standard zoom" test with the 14-45 and 14-54 - take a look at the test results and his conclusion here:

http://biofos.com/esystem/stnd_tst.html

He thinks it's a decent lens. You might also enjoy a lot of his Olympus site - he is well respected even though he's a Brit.

(Just kidding about the Brit part )

Ted

PS: There is never any shame in having to be concerned about the cost of photography equipment. Never.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:12 PM   #7

Thanks for that, very intetesting. I really like the lens but maybe that is due to my inexperience with expensive lenses? I will keep shooting and hopefully get a bit better!

Kodak Z950
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for that, very intetesting. I really like the lens but maybe that is due to my inexperience with expensive lenses? I will keep shooting and hopefully get a bit better!
Sam, expensive lenses are a lot of fun, but (guess what) are expensive. I was in my 50's before I was financially able to buy a few. Before that, I had a lot of fun with less expensive lenses.

I actually have a 17.5 - 45. It's a surprisigly compact lens but I think it has a bit more internal reflections going on in bright light than the more expensive lenses.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:26 PM   #9

Thats good to hear, for me all I seem to read about is the expensive stuff. Its rather daunting if you see what I mean? I know its skill and that comes with practice. I'll keep picking your lots brains!!!! Lol ;-)

Kodak Z950