Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:33 PM   #1

Default Camera Bag Hell, or...errr...I think I finally found a good one...

I think the only thing I have bought more of than new camera bodies are new bags. Backpacks always get too heavy with everything I put in them, "slingshot" bags are simply too heavy on the one shoulder, uncomfotable on any long walk (no way I'd have used one at White Sands) and shoulder bags are something I've just never been comfortable using. When I arrived back home from New Mexico Sunday evening a FedEX box was waiting on the doorstep with my newest bag acquisition, and this ones' looking like the best yet.

I've held off buying this bag for a while because of the cost, but finally bit the bullet and spent the $254 to order it from Moose Peterson's website, his MP-7 bag...

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/?page_id=12539

Wow, what a nice bag! Everything actually fits very well, there's compartments everywhere and it feels great on my back with "everything" in there, including..

E5+grip and 50-200 SWD in main compartment.

In the two smaller compartments I have loaded the 9-18, 12-60, 8mm FE and 50mm f2. If I had had this bag 5 years ago I'd probably still own the 7-14.

There are two moveable velcro-attached bags in the main compartment, one of which now holds my EC20. The main compartment is oversized. I could even have the hood mounted in shooting position and it'd actually fit with still extra room to spare. I'm gonna put the EX25 in the other moveable case.

There's a HUGE side pocket where I have my FL50R in it's own case, my Demb flash bracket and TTL cord with lots of room to spare. On the opposite side there are two more compartments, one of which I have my Demb Flip-It bounce attachment and could also house the two Cokin graduated neutral density filters and holder I own but have always hated to carry because of the extra space they required.

That's way more stuff than I schlept around White Sands with in my old backpack, I still haven't mentioned the 4 other zippered puches inside to hold other stuff, it feels much lighter than my old fully loaded backpack and loaded with all that "stuff" I'm sure it's still small enough to fit underneath the seat in front of you on an airplane.

If you've never been happy with your bag(s) of choice, this is one to consider. I've been messing around with it for a couple of days now and think it's just a honey of a bag. Every other bag is going into the closet as storage or is just going to get thrown out.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Greg,

I have looked at that bag several times since he introduced it a while back. It really is a great pack. Doing away with all the unnecessary padding really opens up tons of room in such a small bag. I just have never had the heart to put down 250$ for one.

Congrats, really one of the best serious packs out there. But not for the faint of heart who baby their equipment and will never leave home without a protection filter on lol!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:13 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell;1211395]I think the only thing I have bought more of than new camera bodies are new bags. Backpacks always get too heavy with everything I put in them, "slingshot" bags are simply too heavy on the one shoulder, uncomfotable on any long walk (no way I'd have used one at White Sands) and shoulder bags are something I've just never been comfortable using. When I arrived back home from New Mexico Sunday evening a FedEX box was waiting on the doorstep with my newest bag acquisition, and this ones' looking like the best yet.

I've held off buying this bag for a while because of the cost, but finally bit the bullet and spent the $254 to order it from Moose Peterson's website, his MP-7 bag...

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/?page_id=12539

Wow, what a nice bag! Everything actually fits very well, there's compartments everywhere and it feels great on my back with "everything" in there... QUOTE]

Hmmmm - I have enough tamrac bags to start a loaner service. The Moose Peterson bag looks ideal, but I have a question: Is it true that the bag has zero padding? I don't need a lot but zero seems kinda risky.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hmmmm - I have enough tamrac bags to start a loaner service. The Moose Peterson bag looks ideal, but I have a question: Is it true that the bag has zero padding? I don't need a lot but zero seems kinda risky.

Ted
Nope.

The outer perimeter walls and back-side that goes against your back are all padded, the smaller lens compartments in the two smaller sections are very deep and have a lot of room for the lenses....I can store the 9-18 with the wide hood mounted in a shooting position, the 70-300 fits with extra room at the top to spare, and the divider between the lenses is padded and the "wall' that separates the main compartment from the two small lens compartments is padded too.

The top flaps you open to access all three sections are not padded, but do have mesh compartments on the inside where you can load other stuff. The outer sections, like the one where my flash is and where I have the Demb bounce attachment loaded and would store my graduated ND filters (in their own pouches), are NOT padded, but I have the flash inside the case it came with and I'm fine with that. Otherwise, it would fit in one of the lens compartments if I didn't have to take ALL of my lenses.

And NO branding of ANY KIND on the outside! I like that...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 22, 2011 at 4:38 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:38 PM   #5

Thanks, Greg. I really need to look at that bag.

My only remaining reservation is that your review failed to use either of the two current de rigueur adjectives in a review like this: "awesome" or "sweet".

Ted
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:51 PM   #6

I guess "honey" could be considered a substitute for "sweet", no?

This Saturday morning my photo club has another special engagement shoot, this time at the Dallas Zoo. We get in two hours before opening and they are going to feed the animals outside, which they usually do not do, so it should make for a great morning and good test for the bag in use. I did load it up and carried it around the State Fair of Texas grounds doing some shooting of the many art deco buildings Monday and it felt great with all that stuff in it over the two hours I was walking around.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I guess "honey" could be considered a substitute for "sweet", no?

This Saturday morning my photo club has another special engagement shoot, this time at the Dallas Zoo. We get in two hours before opening and they are going to feed the animals outside, which they usually do not do, so it should make for a great morning and good test for the bag in use.
Wow! New bag or no new bag, what a great photo op!

Ted
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:34 PM   #8

Since we are writing about camera bags, I received (finally, after 8 weeks) by new BBP Laptop Bag (see http://www.bbpbags.com/dslrslinger.html for more information).

My requirements were: My E-30 with a lens attached and at least room for another one, room for my lunch (day to day camera bag), room for a netbook or an I-Pad.

So, a quick review after a couple of days:

The good:
- I can carry all of the above
- So far, the bag sound sturdy enough
- The price is reasonable ($99)
- The bag is small
- I love the velcro straps at the front
- Not "real" way to know it is a camera bag
- I like the handle on the side (sling)

The not that good:
- Can they make is a tidy bit bigger? because ...
- I now need a "small" lunch
- The iPad fits .... barely
- Adding a couple of small pockets on the side will be nice
- Adding another handle on the top of the bag will also be nice

Conclusion:
- Not a bad choice, ok for commuting and light travel (like a Lowepro 100AW) without the camera bag style.

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:26 AM   #9

Hi Greg,

That MP7 looks like a great tool to carry equipment all day. Like so many others, I've never found the "perfect" bag although, I have a liking for the Nat'l Geo bags.

Thanks for the heads up.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote