Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2011, 8:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
.............. The people here have been very friendly, lots of fun to be around, and plenty of places to go to and photograph your brains out, as I have this last month.
.................................................. ...
.................................................. ....

Zig
I just wanted you to repeat that, about the people in Florida, for Ted's benefit. LOL.

On a serious note Zig, we are so glad that you had a good month down here. You pics from this trip have been superb. You should print some of them. Safe journey back, and stay well!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I just wanted you to repeat that, about the people in Florida, for Ted's benefit. LOL.

On a serious note Zig, we are so glad that you had a good month down here. You pics from this trip have been superb. You should print some of them. Safe journey back, and stay well!
But he didn't specifically mention you.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:47 AM   #13

Excellent group of images, Zig!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Fantastic pictures Zig,

With the combo 70-300 + EC-20 the picture suffer a severe diffraction of the image.

Marcelo
Zig, really good being able to get some information on how you use the teleconverters ie the camera settings you use to compensate the constraints of teleconverters. Could you point out to me which photos were taken with the combination Marcelo is referring to here 70-300 + EC-20.

BTW - superb photos all round!

Cheers

Bernice
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
Zig, really good being able to get some information on how you use the teleconverters ie the camera settings you use to compensate the constraints of teleconverters. Could you point out to me which photos were taken with the combination Marcelo is referring to here — 70-300 + EC-20.

Cheers

Bernice
Bernice, he said that in the original post - the second set was with the EC20. But you may be interested in knowing that you can also determine that for yourself. If you look at the EXIF data in the photos, the first ones show a focal length of 283mm which is the max you can get with the 50-200 lens and the EC14. The others show a focal length of 400mm which you can't get with that lens without the EC20 (it doubles the FL). Note that he didn't shoot them with the 70-300.

To look at the EXIF data, download one of the free EXIF viewers that are made to work within a browser. Opanda's IExif is one. With that installed as an add-on in your browser, you can just right-click on an image to view the Exif data. If it is present - sometimes the Exif is missing for various reasons.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 31, 2011 at 6:01 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Zig, really good being able to get some information on how you use the teleconverters ie the camera settings you use to compensate the constraints of teleconverters. Could you point out to me which photos were taken with the combination Marcelo is referring to here 70-300 + EC-20.

Cheers

Bernice

Hi Bernice
I think he may have been referring to his own experiences. Here is a link to a couple of photos I took using the 70-300mm with both the EC14 and the EC20

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...0-results.html

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

Hope this helps.

Ted
Thanks Ted. Yes, it helped. It confirms that I didn't miss something that indicated the 70-300 had been used in this set of photos.

thanks

Bernice
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Bernice
I think he may have been referring to his own experiences. Here is a link to a couple of photos I took using the 70-300mm with both the EC14 and the EC20

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...0-results.html

Thanks zig. I had a look at your 70-300 + EC 20 link photos and I must admit the quality is far better than the comments (here and in other places) led me to believe.

Thank you

Bernice
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks zig. I had a look at your 70-300 + EC 20 link photos and I must admit the quality is far better than the comments (here and in other places) led me to believe.

Thank you

Bernice
Hi Bernice,

The 70-300mm ZD (Olympus) digital lens is indeed one of the best performers from a price perspective that Olympus has in their current lens lineup. When you consider the image quality vs the price that you can pick up one of these, it continues to amaze me.

In an effort to get as much focal length as is possible for short money, I've personally, bought over the last 3years, a Sigma 135-400mm lens, a Tokina SD 400mm prime lens and a Kiron 80-200mmlens. I have to tell you, it's been my experience, that the 70-300mm comes out on top each and every time.

The one caveat, with this lens is that it needs lots of light to be able to provide a really sharp image as well as focus properly. That's why, when asked, I've always cautioned people interested in using the 70-300mm lens with a teleconverter, they should stick with the EC14. Reason being, that you can crop an image to steal focal length and still end up with an sharper image than if you tried using the 70-300mm with the Ec-20. The 70-300mm, when fully extended, using the EC20, the aperture starts out at F-11.2. It 's got to be a bright day to make that lens AF properly at that aperture setting.

I hope, at some point, you can upgrade your Oly camera to an E-620 or E-30.
you will be amazed at what you'll be able to achieve. Especially, with the really unique and beautiful creatures you have down under.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:51 PM   #20

Thank you very much zig. I shall print this off and add it to my 'Future Photography Needs' folder. But - I guess I need to learn to 'walk' first, eh! (Winning the lottery might help, too.)

Cheers

Bernice